No income increase for last 6 years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No income increase for last 6 years

Am I off base to question why my ex’s income has stayed the same for the last 6 years. ? I finally after 4.5 years was given his financials. And in fact this past year it went down $1000. Which means he just chose to work less or took off more unpaid time. He still makes the same hourly rate. I find it odd that he hasn’t had even cost of living increases. Or something. He gets paid hourly An is a licensed mechanic. Should I just let this be? We will be in court soon to dispute Section 7 expenses. Our agreement says in proportion to our incomes. I was never able to collect it that way as he would not disclose income. So in the past and for the future I have only ever requested 50%.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From the sounds of it, your ex is simply working the amount of hours he needs to keep cs at the same amount. This includes the s7 expenses.

You can’t fight to have the court demand he work more hours. He could argue hes getting older, he has an injury, his boss won’t let him etc.

This is one of those “grin and bear it” situations where your ex is being difficult and fixing his system to avoid paying.

Comment

Originally posted by rockscan View Post
      From the sounds of it, your ex is simply working the amount of hours he needs to keep cs at the same amount.
      This is one of those “grin and bear it” situations where your ex is being difficult and fixing his system to avoid paying.

Yes that’s totally what is going on. And he even claims because his wage was less last year I will owe him CS back. Lol.
      It’s not my fault he didn’t tell me his annual income decreased.

Also he just purchased a more expensive home that he claims he pays for by himself although gf and her 3 kids live with him. I hope that doesn’t matter. And judge will see he needs to support his own children first.

Comment

Repeat this statement: you can’t fix stupid.

What he does outside of his cs and s7 is none of your business and that includes his house with his new partner. Unless he is claiming hardship, the house and her income means nothing. Forget that issue right now.

You should take the info he provided and go back and calculate everything according to his income. If he overpaid, you could offer that that be applied to another cost or s7 or future cs.

You could argue that he is purposely underemployed based on his skills and abilities but again, thats useless.

Like I said at the beginning, you can’t fix stupid and unfortunately your kids suffer. Don’t waste your energy on what a jerk your ex is.

Comment

Originally posted by rockscan View Post
          Repeat this statement: you can’t fix stupid.

What he does outside of his cs and s7 is none of your business and that includes his house with his new partner. Unless he is claiming hardship, the house and her income means nothing. Forget that issue right now.

You should take the info he provided and go back and calculate everything according to his income. If he overpaid, you could offer that that be applied to another cost or s7 or future cs.

You could argue that he is purposely underemployed based on his skills and abilities but again, thats useless.

Like I said at the beginning, you can’t fix stupid and unfortunately your kids suffer. Don’t waste your energy on what a jerk your ex is.

Lawyer said the same thing. Can’t fix stupid. He definitely has underpaid for the last 4 years for Section 7’s. As I made way less until recently.

I know what he does outside of CS an S7 is non of my business. I could care less. Just pay what you agreed to and we have no issues. Except that’s the issue. He is not paying what he agreed to.

Comment

I dont think the second family comes into play, his gf (and her ex) is most likely contributing to the new house expenses in some way. From the reading I have done here on this forum, the first children are a priority for CS.

I would leave it up to a Judge to decide if he is purposely under employing himself, since your heading to court anyway.

I have listened to my ex gripe, complain and moan about the support he is paying, yet he is moving to a bigger and nicer home so he can start a second family. Its just something you have to move passed and try to make sure your kids don't have to make too many sacrifices both financially and emotionally. His time is now split with 5 children? Are they all on the same access schedule?

Comment

If the Ex is payed by the hour as the OP states, it would be a fairly simply calculation to find out if he is working less hours in an effort to reduce CS. Your average full time job is 2080 hours a year. If he is working those 2080 hours a year, there's nothing you can do nor will a judge demand him to work overtime.

FYI, I haven't had a salary increase in 4 years now. Its not out of the realm of possibility that he is telling you the truth. Times are tough, cut backs and forced furloughs happen all the time in companies.

Comment

I have listened to my ex gripe, complain and moan about the support he is paying, yet he is moving to a bigger and nicer home so he can start a second family. Its just something you have to move passed and try to make sure your kids don't have to make too many sacrifices both financially and emotionally. His time is now split with 5 children? Are they all on the same access schedule?[/QUOTE]

The gf rearranged her weekends so they could have all the kids together. They were on opposite weekends when they met. But they switched that up real fast!

Comment

Originally posted by cashcow4ex View Post
                  If the Ex is payed by the hour as the OP states, it would be a fairly simply calculation to find out if he is working less hours in an effort to reduce CS. Your average full time job is 2080 hours a year. If he is working those 2080 hours a year, there's nothing you can do nor will a judge demand him to work overtime.

FYI, I haven't had a salary increase in 4 years now. Its not out of the realm of possibility that he is telling you the truth. Times are tough, cut backs and forced furloughs happen all the time in companies.

I agree some places just don’t have the funds to give raises or CL’s. But it’s just odd this year he made $1000 less.
                  Guess that’s why I asked the question if I was off base to take this further. I mean I am content with the CS I receive. I am just not happy about the S7 expenses he has stopped paying. And really has given no reason for it.

Thanks for the input.

Comment

Originally posted by Mom 2 Two View Post
                    I agree some places just don’t have the funds to give raises or CL’s. But it’s just odd this year he made $1000 less.
                    Guess that’s why I asked the question if I was off base to take this further. I mean I am content with the CS I receive. I am just not happy about the S7 expenses he has stopped paying. And really has given no reason for it.

Thanks for the input.

$1000 a year is such a small, small amount you would look silly to even bring it up. If he is paid by a company it makes it difficult to hide funds, if he was self employed that would be different. As a mechanic I can assume he makes at least $30 an hour but I’m sure he makes more than that. That basically works out to him working 3 hours less a month... so maybe he left early once a month for an appointment or something. If it was $10,000 I would look into it, but $1000? A lawyer will charge you that just to ask for him financials.

My husband is 100% commission... his income can fluctuate $10,000+/- a year depending on the year. He’s in the automotive industry so if it’s a slow year we’ll his income goes down and so does his CS... he works 40-50 hours a week, he can’t be forced to work more, not can he be accused of being underemployed seeing as he has been in this industry for years

Comment

Originally posted by Berner_Faith View Post
                      $1000 a year is such a small, small amount you would look silly to even bring it up. If he is paid by a company it makes it difficult to hide funds, if he was self employed that would be different. As a mechanic I can assume he makes at least $30 an hour but I’m sure he makes more than that. That basically works out to him working 3 hours less a month... so maybe he left early once a month for an appointment or something. If it was $10,000 I would look into it, but $1000? A lawyer will charge you that just to ask for him financials.

My husband is 100% commission... his income can fluctuate $10,000+/- a year depending on the year. He’s in the automotive industry so if it’s a slow year we’ll his income goes down and so does his CS... he works 40-50 hours a week, he can’t be forced to work more, not can he be accused of being underemployed seeing as he has been in this industry for years

Thanks for the input Faith. Here is the thing... I wish it was $30 an hour. That’s what I’m saying. He makes $22 hr. He has been a mechanic for over 15 years. His response to my motion is that he had also overpaid child support. Well he never gave me his finances. So how would we adjust it. ?Our SA says a weekly amount. And that is what he has always paid. Never asked me to lower it. It works out to be like $5 less a week or something. But if that’s he case shouldn’t he have to go and be the one to ask for a reduction if his income was lower?

Comment

I get your frustration 100% - my ex, when she finally got a real job, would just take as much unpaid time off that she met the income imputed to her in our SA (extremely low). My lawyer said it would cost more to fight it in court (her underemployment) than I would ever get back in reduced CS. So bang your head (lightly!) against the wall once and let it go is my advice,

Comment

It aeems odd to m
                          Ghat an hourly wage earner has never had a single raise in 6 years, even a mosest raise. Is it possible he is beimg paid more under the table? Is th is being paid so much less than the goimg rate it judt all
                          Seems a bit off

Comment

Originally posted by denbigh View Post
                            It aeems odd to m

Ghat an hourly wage earner has never had a single raise in 6 years, even a mosest raise. Is it possible he is beimg paid more under the table? Is th is being paid so much less than the goimg rate it judt all

Seems a bit off

Thanks. I feel the same way... but as all the posters above say.... not a whole lot I can do about it. I really think it’s odd for sure. I will bring it to lawyers attention and see what they think I guess. But I am probably out of luck. Thanks.

Comment

the last place I worked I never got a raise for 7 years. I left three years after that So in 10 years there was only that one raise. Since I left they never got a raise (5years ago now) until the minimum wage went up and they had to increase the wages to meet the new minimum wage.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X