Shift Work Custody Plan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shift Work Custody Plan

My goal is to have the kids about 50% of the time. I work two shifts, 5:30pm to 4:30am and 7:00am to 4:30 pm, switching ever two weeks.

During night shift my ex would take the kids. But during day shift I am hoping to keep the kids for sleepovers. The problem occurs in the morning when I leave for work at about 6:20am. At this point I would not be home and the kids would go to school/daycare for 8:20 in the morning.

Is it reasonable to drop off kids at ex's house at 6:20am so she would take them to school/daycare? Kids usually get up around 7:00am, so they would have to get up one hour earlier. Ex gets up at 6:50-7:00am, so she would have to get up 1/2 hour earlier.

I think it is fair to each have the kids 50:50. How would courts view this?

So if you plan on dropping the kids off to your ex for 6:20am......what time would you actually have to wake them up at?

Comment

I don't know how the court would view it but I think it wouldn't be reasonable to have the kids get up so early and have to attend school all day.

Can you not simply hire a babysitter? Have the sitter come at 6 am and then drop the kids off at school. The kids get to sleep and you still get your access time.

Comment

My step kids get up at 5am and their mother has them to the sitters by 6am so she can make it to work for 7am. They then attend school at 8:40am, back to the sitters until Mom picks them up at 6:00pm... she has the most access. Most kids are up early anyways and as long as they are in bed at appropriate times, it could work for you.

Comment

We do something similar. My ex has similar swing shifts and he drops the kids off at 7am when he is on days so that I can get them to school just after 8 before I go to work.

I like it because I actually get to touch base with the kids every school day without having to interrupt their time with dad by calling at night. We did consider other options like a babysitter in the morning but this way just works considering my house is on his way to work.

Comment

kids would get up around 5:50am I would guess. I don't think ex will like the idea of getting up 1/2 hour earlier...will try to get baby sitter...we will see what happens with this scenario. I know I want to be a part of my kids lives and have them 50% of the time. As I am sure we all know it is very important to have a father in childrens lives....this will be my approach and I will post on the results (might be a while).

Thanks for responses so far....

Comment

Originally posted by Shiftworker View Post
              kids would get up around 5:50am I would guess. I don't think ex will like the idea of getting up 1/2 hour earlier...will try to get baby sitter...we will see what happens with this scenario. I know I want to be a part of my kids lives and have them 50% of the time. As I am sure we all know it is very important to have a father in childrens lives....this will be my approach and I will post on the results (might be a while).

Thanks for responses so far....
              I would say it all depends on your ex's willingness to work a 50/50 schedule with you.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
              Working...
              X