This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lying in affidavits in family court and perjury charges in criminal court

I have caught my ex in 2 bold face lies.

The first saying that my social worker said a number of things, that would allow him to negate his cost order and cause me possibly to get charged with welfare fraud, which she totally denies and is willing to write a written statement to that fact

The second is...he has been unwilling to file his income taxes for the last 2 years, stating he couldn't because I have all the necessary paper work, again untrue. He said he had one of the years filled out and waiting to be filed with HR block, but yet I find out he has all the years filled out and all he need to do was pay them to have them filed. The last 7 court appearances had been about this. This has cost my parents at least 10 grand in costs. The last court appearance the judge threaten to stricken his record if he didn't file them, which he got them filed on the last day

My lawyer suggests we shouldn't go after a perjury charge, because the court system never takes them seriously. I am considering going over him and taking these facts to the crown. I used these 2 particulars out of a select few because they are dealing with arms length persons. Thoughts?

I think your lawyer gave you sound advice and rather than run off on a tangent, get back on track and focus on your most primary issues.

Comment

Chances of anything coming of this.....slim to none.

A crown will probably look at you as a bitter ex-spouse and take the information with a grain of salt, if they even take it at all.

You are better focused on moving on and being the better person then trying to play "gotcha".

Comment

I'm the bitter person when he is lying. It says right on the front of the affidavits that untrue statements can be charged with pergury. So you are saying that lying in court makes little to no difference. Its not like I'm using relatives to contradict him. One is a government official and the other is a employee of HR block. Has the court system gotten so bad that even the statements the courts are making are lies.

Comment

Originally posted by Annie33 View Post
          I'm the bitter person when he is lying. It says right on the front of the affidavits that untrue statements CAN be charged with pergury. So you are saying that lying in court makes little to no difference. Its not like I'm using relatives to contradict him. One is a government official and the other is a employee of HR block. Has the court system gotten so bad that even the statements the courts are making are lies.
          I have editted your post to highlight the important word - can - it means not 100% will be, but can be.

I understand your issue. But the reality is your concern is SSOOOOO far down on their totem pole of things they care about that your chances of getting someone to give this serious consideration is slim.

Notwithstanding the fact that this would have to go to court, using court resources with a case that (as much as you'd like to think so) isn't a slam dunk and will amount to not much more then a slap on the wrist.

I mean really, what remedy do you want here? The max punishment is like 90 days in jail or something and a fine of a few grand. The likelihood of getting the max are slim. Chances are he will be told to take better care when filing his statements and possibly pay a few hundred dollars.

I mean, people complain about how long it takes to get court dates nowadays and how backlogged they are. There are more important uses of court resources then this.

Comment

Take the advice of your lawyer~ and Hammerdad is right. If it was a "criminal case", it would be hopefully different. The courts do not have the time or staff to deal with all issues, considering your issue being minor. Any Judge will see how uncooperative he is and has been and can make the decsion to "impute his income" so if you have any other documents/proof showing other source of income, assets, provide this to your lawyer. Your lawyer knows all of this. Why do think the Family Court System is so backed up? people lie in Court all the time, including at trial as I am finding out. Some of these people get away with it, and at the end, reality is: all comes down to the Judge making the decision.

Comment

The perjury is a waste of time from what I'm told but you certainly could have asked for costs each time your ex chose to waste your time in court

Comment

In your case, what you should be doing is getting that social worker to write an affidavit and attaching that as exhibit evidence to your answer on his motion where he claimed that.

You would use it to rebut his position and to show a pattern of lying. That way when he tries stupid games like that, you simply haul out the proof he's a liar and slap it down. It just makes YOUR side that much more compelling.

Like I kept joking about with friends when I was undergoing MY custody dispute...If you are going to LIE about something, for the love of God, make sure it's something the other side doesn't have hard evidence to the contrary.

My ex did it all the time, hell her exhibit evidence at one point directly contradicted her accusation. THAT was an amusing point to rebut..."The allegation of XXXXX is false, as shown by the applicant's own exhibit evidence, item X, point Y."

Comment

Court costs are garbage when someone plans on going bankrupt. My understanding is the only allowable costs that survive bankruptcy are alimony and child support.

I have also recently found out that the doctor that reported him unfit to drive truck, or work in general, either didn't report my ex to the ministry or, they deemed him fit to drive truck. The ministry has yet to suspend his license, and its been 7 months

Comment

By the way I thank everyone for their responses.

Comment

My first court appearance I was shocked at the allegations made by my x because they were all lies and provable lies. Was so used to seeing "perjury" threats on TV and I believed them. My lawyer laughed at me and said "everyone lies in affidavits". Well, I am so accustomed to the lying that it doesn't even phase me - I think this is the way the whole court system views family cases now. They believe everyone is lying to some degree so the assume it's somewhere in the middle. Crappy, but true.

As suggested above, keep track of the "provable" lies so that you can show him to be dishonest and further your own case at future motions/trial. If you get costs on a motion which are not paid, I believe you can strike his pleadings.

Comment

Court costs are garbage when someone plans on going bankrupt. My understanding is the only allowable costs that survive bankruptcy are alimony and child support.

I have also recently found out that the doctor that reported him unfit to drive truck, or work in general, either didn't report my ex to the ministry or, they deemed him fit to drive truck. The ministry has yet to suspend his license, and its been 7 months
                        then obviously you got some misinformation. If someone is unfit to drive it is the doctors duty to report them to the MTO. If they do not they can get into trouble themselves.

dont waste your energy on getting revenge on him and trying to nail him for everything you can. Pick your battles.

Comment

If he is unfit to drive I don't want my son in a car with him.

Comment

If he is unfit to drive I don't want my son in a car with him.
                            I can understand that but where did you find out your information?

Comment

The doctors information was handed over by my ex in February and information was added in subsequent affidavits.

i was told by my lawyer not to worry about it, because i had intern supervised custody at a facility, not to make an issue of it.

It looks like as of 2 months ago that was changing. The last few months Ive been digging, researching, calling and emailing politicians. Everyone is passing the buck. Those that wanted to try and help couldn't because all information is privileged. Ive tried and tried. Its been a lot of arguing and pleading.

I got hung up the last time today so I just decided to call the police. They ended up calling me back and telling me his license isn't suspended and it should be if the doctor is out right saying he cant do any job. They werent able to get proof because they have no ability too.

So like I said either the doctor is a moron and misdiagnosed him, and the ministry shot it down, or the doctor didn't report him and he is breaking the law. I was thinking it was more my ex was driving with a suspended license.

He was a trucker - class A license.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X