No announcement yet.

Revenue Canada - "Separated"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm still waiting for my "confirmation" letter regarding the UCCB and CCTB so I can file my informal objection.

Comment

• What irritates me to no end is that just last week I got my statement showing the change back to separated and the tax credits I'm entitled to. Then I get notification that oh no.... we aren't depositing this amount until I provide the same documentation that I did in the Spring. I'm so horribly confused ... it feels almost harassing in nature.

I do not understand how they make one decision based on the documents submitted and then they tell me they want more?

Does this end at any point? Worst part is ... my Ex moved in with his parents so I have no way to provide a lease agreement or letter from a landlord. They make it impossible to justify anything.

Comment

• I finally got both my letters for CCTB and UCCB (and $$$) so now I can actually file my appeal.

I was paid for June - Nov (2013).

I'm attempting to get it back to Sept 2011. Wish me luck.

Comment

• My formal appeal has now been submitted online. I will let everyone know how it goes.

I also noticed that my 2011 return now states "reassessment in progress". I'm not sure how it will go but I"m sure I will find out soon.

Slow but steady progress. Although is there any other way with the CRA lol.

Comment

• Originally posted by FB_ View Post
            My formal appeal has now been submitted online. I will let everyone know how it goes.

I also noticed that my 2011 return now states "reassessment in progress". I'm not sure how it will go but I"m sure I will find out soon...
            It won't be "soon". lol.

Comment

• Actually once they start, I don't think it takes that long because they've assigned someone to it. Mine took a week. I'm assuming that they're not super busy this time of year.

Comment

• I noticed that they have reassessed my 2011 taxes after I sent in the T1 Adjustment. My legal fees were accepted. However the change in marital status and claiming my son as a dependent were not, although they are not mentioned in the reassessment at all. I guess I will register my 3rd formal dispute.

Comment

• However the change in marital status and claiming my son as a dependent were not, although they are not mentioned in the reassessment at all.
                  You are further ahead than I am.....I was reassessed before the holidays also. Prior to that, they had asked for "more info" proving/showing that I had my son for a certain periods/ that he lived with me.

All this was sent to them, but I also called the office up in NFLD and managed to get hold of this lovely lady within seconds of dialing. She noticed that "the system" defaulted back to "married" and in the process affected the separation date. She gave me a trick to get it back to "separated" and for the official separation date.

This all made sense, and explained why they kept asking for stuff I already sent them before. Additionally, it further explains the reassessment that now acknowledged what I have been trying to tell them.

So...log in to check your info, if something is not right, pick up the dog and bone and call them
                  Last edited by FWB; 01-06-2014, 01:48 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by FWB View Post
                    You are further ahead than I am.....I was reassessed before the holidays also. Prior to that, they had asked for "more info" proving/showing that I had my son for a certain periods/ that he lived with me.

All this was sent to them, but I also called the office up in NFLD and managed to get hold of this lovely lady within seconds of dialing. She noticed that "the system" defaulted back to "married" and in the process affected the separation date. She gave me a trick to get it back to "separated" and for the official separation date.

This all made sense, and explained why they kept asking for stuff I already sent them before. Additionally, it further explains teh reassessment that now acknowledged what I have been trying to tell them.

So...log in to check your info, if something is not right, pick up the dog and bone and call them
                    I just called and spoke to someone.

He confirmed that my problem continues to be that on Dec 31st, 2011 the system has me as married. He said he can see my appeals and they will be dealt with. I then called the appeals department, a nice guy in Sudbury confirmed my appeals. I asked him if those appeals would cover my 2011 tax return. He said just appeal that one as well and it will all be dealt with under one case/file.

I am slowly making progress. The problem was I was not legally able to appeal my Marital status until I was "officially" denied a benefit because of it. I now have been officially denied the CCTB, UCCB, and Eligible Dependent Claims back to Aug 7th, 2011. So now my appeals should go a little more smooth.

Comment

• I received the letter from them stating they have received my online dispute. Due to the current case load an agent will contact me within 3-6 months to discuss my case.

It also said I could send in any relevant paperwork now. Not sure what to send in if anything.

Comment

• CRA is WAY behind on everything right now...I have been in the biz over 20 years and have never seen it like this (they are taking a page from the IRS??!!).
                        Just sit tight it will happen eventually.

For anybody who's status is changing or has recently changed you are required to notify CRA ASAP because they did change the rules a couple years ago and changes in status re: income tested benefits (HST, CTB, etc) become effective immediately, not when you file your next tax return. Getting the marital status change info in on a timely basis goes a LONG way to making your dealings with them easier.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pbg/tf/rc65/rc65-13e.pdf

this is the link to the appropriate form. Maybe its father back in the thread but I didn't read all the way through

Comment

• My appeal has been officially assigned although not reviewed yet. The letter stated now is the time I should send in any supporting paperwork. I'm not sure what else I should include. I've already sent in 3 different packages of various documents. Although I'm not sure it will all be in this file.

Comment

• Just posted a solution on a different thread, wow this thread is long.
                            http://www.ottawadivorce.com/forum/f...72/#post166792

Comment

• Originally posted by involveddad75 View Post
                              Just posted a solution on a different thread, wow this thread is long.
                              http://www.ottawadivorce.com/forum/f...72/#post166792
                              So far I have not had an issue with the dependent credits.

It's the in home separation part I'm still fighting. The GST/UCCB/CCTB for the period of Aug 2011 until July 2013.

Comment

• Oh different situation. I haven't and am not going to read all the posts to get the history.

But does your court order indicate a date of separation?
                                I would think if family court states your date of separation then CRA should honor it.

But you might have to prove you weren't sleeping in the same bed.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                                Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                                Working...
                                X