Bone China and other things

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bone China and other things

This is totally off-topic of divorce but thought I'd ask for advice.

I have inherited lots of china that I want to sell. Does anyone have experience (dos and donts) with selling on Kijiji? I cringe at the thought of having to answer the door and let strangers into my place.

Any other thoughts of how I can unload it?

I realize I could take it to a dealer but I'd get hosed for sure.

I've bought a bunch of used stuff off Kijiji and gone to people's homes to pick it up. All exchanges were always done in the driveway or front door. Never went into a home nor was I invited to. Always quick and painless. I got scammed once, bought a tablet that looked like it was working, but upon further testing the wifi on it was broken.

Comment

Agreed with FoF, only ever went inside twice and both were with female sellers who I'd chatted with online and felt comfortable doing so. Everything I've bought from a male seller I've had them either meet me somewhere or I bring someone with me, I'm ok to pick up somewhere if it is a couple.

As for having people pickup here, I always have everything ready by the front door and someone at the house with me.

Kijiji is a great resource, and IMO, the creepers and weirdos are usually hanging out in the community/friendship sections or stalking people for large purchases.

Comment

Thanks FightingForFamily. Good to know.

so I just photograph everything and post it. What about phone numbers or email address. Both or either?

I would prefer to sell it in large lots. I have seen people post a bloody tea cup at a time and that would be a pain. I have LOTS of this as my mother loved the stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by arabian View Post
          This is totally off-topic of divorce but thought I'd ask for advice.

I have inherited lots of china that I want to sell. Does anyone have experience (dos and donts) with selling on Kijiji? I cringe at the thought of having to answer the door and let strangers into my place.

Any other thoughts of how I can unload it?

I realize I could take it to a dealer but I'd get hosed for sure.
          For most stuff I've bought like used cameras, I meet in a public place, usually Tim Horton's or the like. That way I can have a coffee and look at the items, try them out etc. in a neutral atmosphere.

I think if it is a lot, you may want to find a dealer. Yes you will get less, but you will get rid of it faster. So many people on the net try to low ball you, waste your time, don't keep their appointments etc.

You can get a rough idea by doing searches on kijiji, eBay and craigslist for similar items.

Comment

Thanks Blink.

I've told my son I'm doing him a favor by getting rid of it so he doesn't have to do it some day. I'm tired of all the boxes. It's a treasure to someone who is a serious collector.

I'm not into foofoo. Only thing I like to collect is art and golf clubs.

Comment

Originally posted by arabian View Post
              Thanks FightingForFamily. Good to know.

so I just photograph everything and post it. What about phone numbers or email address. Both or either?

I would prefer to sell it in large lots. I have seen people post a bloody tea cup at a time and that would be a pain. I have LOTS of this as my mother loved the stuff.
              You're the seller, you get to decide how many you'll sell at a time! Kijiji allows you to ad 8 pictures per post, so if you want to sell it in lots, simply take a pic of each lot, and if you can a closeup of each pattern.

I never give my phone number or email, I let people reply only through kijiji, of course when you reply to their reply then they have your email address. Depending on what provider you use, you can set up a throwaway address to use for kijiji sales.

Comment

Thanks DowntroddenDad. I have a feeling that the dealer might be the way to go. I'm not comfortable bargaining (car dealers love me). I suppose I set a price for the lot with a dealer and they sell it for whatever. Probably alot less hassle.

Appreciate everyone's input on this.

Comment

Blink that's interesting. Maybe I'll try selling a lot that way and see how it goes. If it goes well then I'll sell it all that way. I'll set up the blind account and perhaps a red herring address/location.

Comment

Totally, meet at a local timmie's or a police station parking lot if it makes you feel more comfortable!

Comment

I could lay out a tablecloth and serve tea from the trunk of my car!

Comment

That could work! I had a trunk sale a while back, advertised on kijiji everything that I was selling, arranged for all the buyers to meet me within the same 1.5 hour period at a local mall parking lot and did all the transactions there.

This worked great for me, got everything sold off and taken care of in one afternoon. No muss, no fuss, and no arranging 80 seperate meet ups!

Comment

A "blinkandimgone" tailgate party - how smart of you!

Comment

You should Google some of the names to see if there's anything that might have real value. Those old tea cups and saucers... my sister sold a bunch at her yard sale for $20 a piece. She knew they were worth more than that.

Comment

yes it's crap to me but I know its valuable.

I sent my brother a set of china several years ago, thinking he was going to pass it down to his son etc. A few years later he told me he had sold it for thousands! I was a bit surprised but then remembered my mother had quite a penchant for china and she had inherited a bunch from her mother.

I suppose if I spent the time I do on here (ODF) and organized everything I could make a tidy sum.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X