Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I create a Case Conference Brief?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I create a Case Conference Brief?

I have always wondered if the Judges ever read anything in the file and affidavits, or if it is only the Lawyers who worry about those things.... I assume the Judges don't have time to read through all of that stuff.

I have to get ready for my first case conference as a self represented litigant.

I think that the 'actual' Judge reads the conference brief before the conference....am I correct?

How "brief" should this brief be.... am I to just state very specific facts without explainations?

Do you omit things that have already been written in the original Application and Reply affidavits?

Does Duty Counsel represent you during a case conference, or are you on your own?

Is it a private meeting, or can you and the other party bring their spouses for support?

Do you submit an Offer to Settle prior to a case conference?

How do you ask for costs when you self-represent? Are you entitled to anything?

If the parties haven't disclosed their financial documentation, will the Judge be put out or is it "normal" for parties to withhold disclosure until they are specifically ordered to do it?

Any help/insight on these questions would be appreciated.

Thanks for the links

Can anyone else elaborate on my questions?

How long is a Case Conference? Is there a set amount of time?

Thanks

Comment

I will let you know how the case conference goes after we are done ours today at 2:00pm.

Comment

Originally posted by first timer View Post
        I will let you know how the case conference goes after we are done ours today at 2:00pm.
        Ohh good luck!!!

Comment

The conference was very quick. The judge barely acknowledged my husband was in the room, he is self-representing, which seemed to give the judge leeway to ignore my husband. A settlement conference was set for later in the month. My husband had never been in this type of situation before and afterwards he felt sick to his stomach. He can now relate to all who have started this process without a lawyer.

Comment

That sounds very unfair!

What did the Judge say....

Were any issues resolved?
            Did he make any Orders?
            Did he tell you what he thought the final outcome would be?

Comment

No issues were resolved. No orders were written. The ex's lawyer even accused the judge of not reading the briefs to which he answered I did to, over lunch. He did not give his opinion on the outcome, only that he agreed that my husband was paying a very unreasonable amount in support. He scheduled a settlement conference for the 26 of Nov. Otherwise it was a waste of time with the exception that we now have a greater understanding of how things work in the courtroom.

Comment

If I have failed to file a Case Conference Brief in time, i.e. before the Case Conference, is it too late? There have been no motions filed and nothing was settled at the Case Confernece, so can I file a brief with my side of the story BEFORE any motions get filed?

Comment

The brief is only for the judge at the CC, it is thrown out afterwards and not part of the continuing record. If you have had your CC already it would be absurd to file it now. Just make sure you are on time for the next conference.

Comment

ok, thanks for the info... I will await the next case conference and prepare a new brief. What do they mean when the Judge said at the end of the CC that the situation was motion ready..?

John

Comment

You can't file a motion, except an emergency motion, until after the Case Conference. Presumably the judge meant that you may now, if you need to, file a motion.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                      Working...
                      X