This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Material change.....having a vehicle?

I still wonder, a clause in an order that says "it may be appropriate to modify the access arrangements in the event of changes such as .......ONE PARTY HAVING A VEHICLE"?

The reason why I have a problem with the wording is that,
    1) no access has ever been denied, including midweek. Why link midweek possibility with having a car?
    2) one party already has a car
    3) I've been in court going 3 yrs and I would hate to return to court out of the wording "one party having a vehicle"

Help me see..why does it seem extremely important to my ex's lawyer that these 5 words remain in the final order ? I am puzzled.

Many thanks,
    Inlimbo.

inlimbo,

If your not comfortable with the wording, don't agree and strike same from the agreement.

lv

Comment

Like LV... never sign anything you are not comfortable with.

I honestly hate these loop-hole within loop-hole clauses. Like, what is the point of it? So either of you get a car, and you go from week on/week off to every 2 weeks on/2 weeks off? Huh? I can't even begin to draw the connection to car and schedule change?

The key to children is flexibility. the SYSTEM though, is all about rigidity, with loop-hole clauses. And those loop-hole clauses are simply a means to more court. Either people do what makes sense... or you get statments like yours above.

BTW, that has to be one of the most ridiculous statements I have seen in a while... "It may be appropriate to modify the access arrangements in the event of changes such as getting a car"

Okay Captain Obvious Lawyer. How about:

"It may be appropriate to change the schedule due to a change in schedule"

There... please pay me $250.

Comment

BTW, the Divorce Act and Family Law Act already includes a Material CHange clause. Usually in agreements you simply re-state it...

"..... will also be variable in the event of a material change in circumstances, foreseen or unforeseen, foreseeable or unforeseeable. Each party will promptly notify the other in the event that they experience such a change."

Comment

Ditto, I echo the comments of Decent Dad. A simple all inclusive statement about material change should be sufficient to cover future changes in scheduling etc.

FL

Comment

ohhhh! I feel better!

Thanks to you all !
            You each have an excellent way to bring issues into perspective. At least I now know that I am not mad!
            I will not agree to this line.
            Again, thank you!!!!!

Inlimbo.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
            Working...
            X