How long to sign a separation agreement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long to sign a separation agreement

How long from separation to signing agreement if didn’t go to trial? If did go to trial, how long from separation until that process was done and had a permanent order? Just wondering what is average. Thus far it’s been about a year and s half and hopefully we will finish this soon with s signed agreement

I've been separated for 2 years, and in court for 1 year. I've got a Settlement Conference scheduled for September, but I cant see my ex wanting to settle. He is quite content with the status quo now, and its not to his advantage to settle.

Comment

It took a year and a half for us to have a separation agreement. We seem to end up amending it every 2-3 years, so don’t think anything is permanent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Mine took about 2 years.

Comment

I’m 2.5 years since separated and no agreement in sight.

Comment

Well it’s done! Finally 1.5 years. For awhile I thought would end up at trial. 2 steps forward one step
            Back. Every time ex disagreed with me would say then he wouldn’t agree to anything that we previously agreed to. It is a lot different that the first version, that is for sure. The first one was full of fluffy things like how we would raise the children, which I was told and saw o. Here as well, you can’t actualy endorce. Also has dispute resolution clauses which are gone now. I am hoping it won’t need to be amended as kids are young teens so I can’t see what would change at this point. Didn’t deal with post secondary in it thought, so I expect that will come up at some point. My lawyer said to leave it until
            Actually at postsecondary

What types of things did you end up having to amend?

Comment

We are into our 8th year of hell separation with no agreement. Not one single issue has been resolved. The matrimonial home was sold 4 years ago and the proceeds have been sitting in trust for that long. The sale of the home didn’t solve anything. It only caused the children ( whom I have full de facto custody of) and I to be homeless, living out of my vehicle ( something I don’t wish to elaborate on at this time).

What the family court system has allowed my catastrophically brain damaged STBX and his lawyer to get away with is nothing short of criminal!

... and yes ... he has gotten away with stalling trial for this long!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Stillbreathing View Post
                We are into our 8th year of hell separation with no agreement. Not one single issue has been resolved. The matrimonial home was sold 4 years ago and the proceeds have been sitting in trust for that long. The sale of the home didn’t solve anything. It only caused the children ( whom I have full de facto custody of) and I to be homeless, living out of my vehicle ( something I don’t wish to elaborate on at this time).

What the family court system has allowed my catastrophically brain damaged STBX and his lawyer to get away with is nothing short of criminal!

... and yes ... he has gotten away with stalling trial for this long!!!!!!!!
                Wow. Going through similar situation. Proceeds from house held in trust. No where close to an agreement. We argued for 2.5 years what the date of separation is. My Wasband is a lawyer. He’s dragging this out to put me in debt (succeeding) hoping I’ll agree to just about anything. He’s trying to reduce my SS to drag it out further. We were married with three kids for 23 years. It need not be this way.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                Working...
                X