This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holidays are fun! :)

Anyone ever notice that when a holiday creeps up the board is full one parent playing gatekeeper over the holiday? Breaking agreements, weather verbal or court ordered? Now Easter should be my holiday, ex won’t allow it. Will I withhold access? Not a chance. I’ll send them on the basis that is in fact his access time and don’t wish to deal with his BS or saying I’m denying access. (Working under a verbal agreement at the moment) Plus my family’s ok with rearranging are dinner. That’s my rant for this week. I have several others, but this one seemed the most relevant at the moment. Hope you all have a wonderful Easter!

The conciliator at the courthouse yesterday said that the docket lists are packed before holidays and any school breaks because people are denying access and the other parent needs an emergency motion in order to see their kids.

Sad, really.

Comment

It is completely sad and quite disgusting really. Why should a parent have to waste time and money to see kids on a holiday? Is it not in the best interest of the kids to see parents equally over holidays? I’ve yet to have a holiday with my kids since my separation. I was supposed to have Thanksgiving, ex disagreed, I sent the kids. Christmas fell on my access time, but we had agreed to him having them, so I sent them. Now Easter. I’ll just keep trying to ease the situation until we have an actual court order, with the way things are going, my guess is he’ll break it. I’m sure the judges are really excited when a holiday is just around the corner.

Comment

LOL, the judges likely dread holidays! Tracy, I hope you are in the process of getting an agreement in place, that's terrible for you!

Comment

If it's in the existing agreement, and the parent is restricting access (for control/fun...whatever) then the courts should start charging/fining those parents. And any costs to file the emergency motion by the OP be made payable by the one restricting access. That would stop some of the nonsense.

Comment

If it's in the existing agreement, and the parent is restricting access (for control/fun...whatever) then the courts should start charging/fining those parents. And any costs to file the emergency motion by the OP be made payable by the one restricting access. That would stop some of the nonsense.
            Which is why you need to ask for costs in your contempt motion/emergency motion. You won't get what you don't ask for.

You won't get it right away, might take a few times, but eventually the judges will get tired of the other sides shenanigans and will start leveraging the costs hammer.

Comment

NBDad-I agree with you completely...

But wouldn't it be a lot easier if the courts automatically put it on the OP in these situations. Why should the parent who is being negatively impacted from the OP who is going against the agreement, have to even apply. There should be a place to fill in your costs, and if it is shown that the parent went against the agreement they have to pay that fee. As well as tacking on a fine...say $1K for each time they do one of these shenanigans.

It's all hypothetical but would be nice if they started penalizing the parents who are being difficult, and causing these problems when it is clear in the agreements.

It's just a nice thought...

Comment

Costs should be automatically applied against the person who LOST their argument in family court cases.

Should also be actual punishments for being a dumb ass and denying access.
                You deny access...GO TO JAIL for a weekend.

Family court is supposed to be the LAST option...not the first. That's why there are so many complaints about it and why it sucks so bad. You can't make everyone happy, and the law is designed to screw BOTH parties.

Comment

pushing like button...May_May

Comment

Originally posted by NBDad View Post
                    Should also be actual punishments for being a dumb ass and denying access.
                    You deny access...GO TO JAIL for a weekend.
                    Best idea ever... my ex... 3 weekends in jail. We can only dream.

Comment

Oh yes I'm in the "process" of an agreement. It's tons of fun!

Totally agree with NBDad.

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy123 View Post
                        It is completely sad and quite disgusting really. Why should a parent have to waste time and money to see kids on a holiday? Is it not in the best interest of the kids to see parents equally over holidays? I’ve yet to have a holiday with my kids since my separation. I was supposed to have Thanksgiving, ex disagreed, I sent the kids. Christmas fell on my access time, but we had agreed to him having them, so I sent them. Now Easter. I’ll just keep trying to ease the situation until we have an actual court order, with the way things are going, my guess is he’ll break it. I’m sure the judges are really excited when a holiday is just around the corner.
                        Hi There,

Just ensure that you put a clause on holidays suggesting that his access is suspended during holiday's and will resume once the holiday is complete..

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                        Working...
                        X