This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I understand this correctly?

When my husband and I got married there was a huge disparity in our assets.

He was established in his career and had significant savings and rrsp's. He used most of the cash to buy the house we share. I came into the marriage with nothing, except a small student debt.

I have been running the numbers and do I understand correctly to determine equalization the cash he had at the beginning and his rrsp's need to be basically paid back to him? He took out a lost of rrsp's last year, he was off work, and they lost a lot of value with the economic downturn, so they are not much more valuable than when we got married 8 years ago.

From what I am figuring with what he had when we got married and our assets now there is about 60 grand difference, with me showing having more than him.

So, in order to get out of this marriage, am I going to have to pay him 30 grand? I currently have a home daycare that I am just establishing, he makes much more than me.

I guess I need to do more reading to figure this stuff out.

Like my name says, I am still in the planning stages, as I have tried to leave twice before and he promises to change I get suckered in and things go back to the way they were before. So, this time I want all my ducks in a row first.

What is happening to the house? Will it be sold? Will one of you be buying the other out?

Comment

I was hoping to stay in the home, as I run my business from it.

Which means I would have to buy him out.

We bought at 192, we owe 113 could sell for 275 today.

Comment

Because of the economy, Real Estate values in ON are expected to plummet significantly in 2011.

Comment

Originally posted by logicalvelocity View Post
          Because of the economy, Real Estate values in ON are expected to plummet significantly in 2011.
          How do I secure the value of it now? As this is probably one of the other reasons ex is stalling.....

Comment

Originally posted by tugofwar View Post
            How do I secure the value of it now? As this is probably one of the other reasons ex is stalling.....
            To be fair, you can only 'secure a value' when you assume all risk regarding its value. This really can only happen when you actually buy him out. Alternatively you can agree to a price and a date for the buy out, and promise to buy him out on that date for the agreed price, regardless of what happens to the value of the house until then.

Comment

He wants to keep it and he wants to buy me out. Problem is the number is too high and I highly doubt he will be able to re-mortgage. So, Im not sure what the next step is unless I try to force him to sell as he can not afford to keep it.
              Im sure he's waiting for the house market to go down and use that number instead of what it was appraised this year at.

Comment

Could be as current interest rates are also expected to remain consistent. If you got their game then best to use that as leverage for all or part settlement of your outstanding issues.

Comment

At what point? That's what Im trying to figure out.

Comment

If he can afford to buy you out, who cares how he does it? Make the deal, settle equalization of family property and make it part of the order that he buy you within 30 days, or something similarly short term.

Comment

That is the problem, he cant with the new appraisal so he`s low balling and throwing a number that he can afford. Also, retro cs support and special expenses are to be added to that number.

Comment

Well it sounds like another issue that needs to be pushed towards trial.

Comment

Yes not only custody and access but equalization which has yet to even be brought to the table......

Comment

this is what I can never understand, when there are issues with a house about one person not agreeing with the other about how to do it etc, why not just put it on the market and split the proceeds from the sale??? To me that is the easiest solution.

Comment

Originally posted by standing on the sidelines View Post
                              this is what I can never understand, when there are issues with a house about one person not agreeing with the other about how to do it etc, why not just put it on the market and split the proceeds from the sale??? To me that is the easiest solution.
                              Easier said than done.

Amongst other reasons:

People get emotionally attached to their homes.

They don't want the kids moving which is further upheaval at an already incredibly stresfull time.

The real estate commission may take them out of the home ownership market when a buyout enables them to stay in.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X