This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ex refusing to sign off on property though compensated

3.5 years ago my girlfriend and I split up. We had owned a home together for approximately 5 months when we split up. 5 months after we split up we agreed that I would give her $10,800 to buy out her down-payment in the house of approximately $3000 and give her sufficient extra funds to make herself and our daughter comfortable in new accommodations. At the time, sale of our property would have resulted in approximately an $8000 loss after taking into account real estate fees, lawyer fees, land transfer fees and other expenses. The property was never formally transferred into my name as I elected to maintain a life insurance policy that would have given the property mortgage free to my ex in trust for my daughter is I was to meet an untimely death.

We finally settled child support and access arrangements in February. In the course of settling these arrangements, my ex admitted in a sworn affidavit that I had indeed paid out her down payment. My ex however is now wavering on whether she will sign off or not. What kind of court/lawyer do I engage the services of for this type of matter? Keeping in mind that I have a copy of a $10,800 cheque cashed by her in addition to her admission in court affidavit of what the money was for, what are my chances. Can I go after her for breach of contract and arrears in mortgage payments, maintenance costs and land taxes if she refuses?

I think you should play it by ear.
    If she does nothing more than "say" things that she intends to do, then do nothing, its a scare tactic to get more out of you.

If she takes it to court you have a great paper trail to support your case.
    Not to mention it was a very short relationship of no significant permanence.

Best of luck.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
    Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
    Working...
    X