Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• child support

Hi Everyone,

My Step Daughter's Mother is allowing her to live with my Husbands parents for 2 months until she finishes the school year. The Mother and her spouse have been having difficulties and in addition to that, have purchased a new home that doesn't have a room yet for her. Their plan is to build a room in the basement for her...a 10 year old who already feels separated from her Mom and the boyfriend...anyhoo...is Dad to continue paying support to her Mom while the little ones living at the grandparents?

Note, we live 40min away from little ones school and it's important that she finishes the year there. The grandparents live down the street from the school.

We would think that the support payments to Mom stop and instead go to the grandparents during these two months...
    If so, given that dad pays through FRO, how is this accomplished?

I will be interested to see other people's opinions on this.

My ex normally has the kids 4 weeks of summer. Oldest is thinking of staying the whole summer with Dad. Dad doesn't want to pay support for all 8 weeks even though he would have paid for the original 4 he has the kids without question.

I am interested in the moral versus legal arguments. I can see the moral argument that some money should go back for food but how much? 10% Support is so much more than just groceries. The parent would still have the rest of the expenses.

But ultimately, what would a court rule?

[And the peanut gallery shouldn't bother saying CS is just paying for plastic surgery. I don't know of one parent who is getting rich (or work done) with their child support payment. ]
    Last edited by SadAndTired; 04-20-2017, 09:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RLS View Post
      Hi Everyone,

My Step Daughter's Mother is allowing her to live with my Husbands parents for 2 months until she finishes the school year. The Mother and her spouse have been having difficulties and in addition to that, have purchased a new home that doesn't have a room yet for her. Their plan is to build a room in the basement for her...a 10 year old who already feels separated from her Mom and the boyfriend...anyhoo...is Dad to continue paying support to her Mom while the little ones living at the grandparents?

Note, we live 40min away from little ones school and it's important that she finishes the year there. The grandparents live down the street from the school.

We would think that the support payments to Mom stop and instead go to the grandparents during these two months...

If so, given that dad pays through FRO, how is this accomplished?

Its only accomplished if mom agrees to stopping through FRO.

Have his parents said anything?

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by SadAndTired View Post
          I will be interested to see other people's opinions on this.

My ex normally has the kids 4 weeks of summer. Oldest is thinking of staying the whole summer with Dad. Dad doesn't want to pay support for all 8 weeks even though he would have paid for the original 4 he has the kids without question.

I am interested in the moral versus legal arguments. I can see the moral argument that some money should go back for food but how much? 10% Support is so much more than just groceries. The parent would still have the rest of the expenses.

But ultimately, what would a court rule?

[And the peanut gallery shouldn't bother saying CS is just paying for plastic surgery. I don't know of one parent who is getting rich (or work done) with their child support payment. ]

I don't know much about child support but my assumption would be that this would be the same as if your children went to a music camp for the summer. Your kids may not be around for weeks but you still pay utilities and mortgage payments don't magically disappear. Your children's bedrooms remain for them to occupy when summer is over. Also, your ex can more than afford to pay for his children regardless of where they decide to vacation.

Comment

In my opinion CS wouldn't change for either situation. In the OPs situation it would be up to mom to pay he grandparents for room and board if that's what they decided to do. CS is ordered to the mom, if a child goes on an exchange CS is still payable. Grandparents want money they go to mom because dad has already paid.

In S&T case, it takes more than two months to change a status quo... of child is coming back to live with you after summer dad would still owe CS... if you average out the whole year if dad still has under 40% access he would still owe CS. Who knows after a month child may decide he doesn't want to be at dads anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by SadAndTired View Post

]

Yes, both parents still have year round expenses. I had my kids 39% of the time. Still had to pay child support and still run a house that can house 2 children for that 39% of the time.

Anyhow, I wouldn't worry about support going the other way over the summer. The cost involved would not be worth the fight.

Comment

You can't apply morality or logic to something that is based on neither.
                It's like walking on water.

All you have is the arbitrariness of our legal system that we are expected to bide to as part of our social contract.

Comment

RLS, you said Mom "allowed" daughter to go there. Who asked who? Was there any talk of money?

Comment

would have to file motion to suspend child support ,, the child will already be back with mom by the time the paper work is done. Our family court system is too slow and too stubborn. it's one of the most unfortunate things that Canada has to offer. a very slow paced family legal system that is designed to make lawyers rich, and destroy families and children by taking money from families and putting it into the lawyers pockets, and in turn to the government via taxes and into the judges pockets - while you pay for it by taxes as well. double rape. welcome to Canada.

anyway, probably cheaper and less stressful to just pay, or you could just not pay and cuss out the FRO employees when they call you - it's always fun to take out your anger on the FRO employees - you get to call them whatever comes out of your mouth.

I would send letter to mom asking her to sign consent and see what she says.
                    Last edited by trinton; 04-21-2017, 01:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by trinton View Post
                      would have to file motion to suspend child support ,, the child will already be back with mom by the time the paper work is done. Our family court system is too slow and too stubborn. it's one of the most unfortunate things that Canada has to offer. a very slow paced family legal system that is designed to make lawyers rich, and destroy families and children by taking money from families and putting it into the lawyers pockets, and in turn to the government via taxes and into the judges pockets - while you pay for it by taxes as well. double rape. welcome to Canada.

anyway, probably cheaper and less stressful to just pay, or you could just not pay and cuss out the FRO employees when they call you - it's always fun to take out your anger on the FRO employees - you get to call them whatever comes out of your mouth.

I would send letter to mom asking her to sign consent and see what she says.
                      Very poor advice. The last thing you should do is be rude to people who can make your life miserable in the future. People working in a call center (FR0/MEP) aren't to blame for court ordered support payments. In fact, maintenance enforcement agencies can help you out when the courts will not.

Comment

We do agree that a percentage would still go to mom, bit certainly not the entire amount.

Sad and Tired: Mom didn't tell Dad that D10 would be living with the Grandparents for 2 months, Grandma brought it up in conversation, not knowing that we hadn't been told yet. It wasn't something that was discussed with Dad.

The Mom said that she planned on bringing some groceries now and then to help them out. We and the Grandparents both know they'd be lucky if they even received help with groceries.

After pressing a little harder, Mom decided D10 will not be living with the Grandparents after all, she wasn't going to give up a penny of that cheque.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                        Working...
                        X