This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FreeNow View Post
    One quote from the UK study makes me wonder.

"just 31% of separated mothers receive payment from the father of their children"

Either the study is faulty or conditions are much different in the UK than in Canada. I would think that the % of Canadian mothers receiving CS is a hell of a lot higher than 31%. 90%?
    FN
    Information from US statistics on CS:
    The most current child support collection statistics from the US Department of Health and Human Services based on fiscal year 2008 indicate a starkly different picture whereby only about 62% of CURRENT child support is paid by non-custodial parents ($31 billion owed and $19 billion collected for an outstanding total of $12 billion). Collection of child support arrears is even more bleak with $105 billion owed and only $8 billion collected. Thus, the grand total of outstanding child support owed in the United States is $109 billion with a grand total of only $27 billion collected on behalf of children. This means about 80% of child support is NOT paid.

Source: Office of Child Support Enforcement FY 2008 Preliminary Report

Furthermore, US Census data shows that the greatest population group living at or below the poverty level are women and children who are divorced or never married.

Comment

Most people are aware there are serious problems with how the "reported" amounts of child support are tabulated. If you look at Alberta in 2007-2008, they say 37% of CS was recieved in full every month, 65% of CS was recieved in part every month, and 87% recieve "some" CS every month. Obviously these statistics don't add up. The reason for this? They only interviwed the "recipients" of CS. The answers given by the recipients are taken as absolute.

However, a custodial parent who expects more money than she is getting (even if he is paying by the charts but she thinks he's hiding money etc.) can answer the question however they like. These statistics also do NOt include the many people who are not in the "system", but just make contracts between themselves, leaving courts out of it.

Anyway, just another thought on this topic. I know alot of men do get behind and arrears are very hard to get rid of when already having a tough time paying CS. I beleive most men do their very best in a system that regards them as money first, fathers second. Yes, there are men that don't pay, just as there are women who withhold visitation.

Comment

Originally posted by first timer View Post
        Not sure I agree that men work harder to achieve a greater income potential. I obtained 2 university degrees, worked 2 part time jobs to put myself thru university and was raising a 2 year old all at the same time.

I am not saying there should not be some form of compensation for the woman but I do not feel the man should be responsible for the rest of his life for an adult who can fend for themselves in a country full of potential.
        Congrats on your hard work!

As I am trying to work out a separation agreement, I agree that SS should not be "forever". Yes SAHMs need time to upgrade skills, get back into the workforce or whatever, but for those who are still in their prime employable years (under 50) SHOULD feel obligated to contribute IF their children are not at home fulltime. SS should be (and may be, IDK) based on the years of the marriage. if you were only married 2 years, why should SS be indefinite???

I know this might be harsh to some, and there are extenuating circumstances sometimes, but we are all responsible for our children, and why should the other parent work their butt off and end up supporting someone who couldn't be bothered to invest in themselves? I myself have a bachelors degree and am going back to do my Masters (part-time) in September. There will not be any SS in my case, as our incomes are quite close, but I would probably not ask even if there was.

Comment

Originally posted by got2bkid View Post
          Most people are aware there are serious problems with how the "reported" amounts of child support are tabulated.
          Anyway, just another thought on this topic. I know alot of men do get behind and arrears are very hard to get rid of when already having a tough time paying CS. I beleive most men do their very best in a system that regards them as money first, fathers second. Yes, there are men that don't pay, just as there are women who withhold visitation.
          Yes, and the reported figures also do not take into account when happens when non-custodial parents get laid off or lose their jobs, but still have CS commitments.

Comment

I would not agree with indefinite spousal support, but I do agree with it as per my own circumstance which is to have been a stay at home mother of a child who is not school age (JK in the fall) and hubby decides to bail b/c he is 'not happy.' If I did not NEED the SS I wouldn't want a penny from him. Everyone has the ability to generate some type of income eventually. (my own father lost both of his legs in a motorcycle accident and proceeded to obtain his BA in psychology and then a law degree.) I was only married for 5 years. Therefore according to SSAG eligible for 2.5 yrs worth of SS. We all fall prey to society and government in one form or another. Clearly our society still views marriage vows as something to strive to keep intact and frankly, recognizes that there are consequences to f**king off on your family, (yes, this would be your wife or husband) however unbearable. I guess you can choose your family! Hardy har!

Comment

Leila, do you feel that spousal support is society's way of punishing the partner who is the most at fault in a marriage breakup (or conversely, for compensating the partner who is least at fault?).

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
              Working...
              X