This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FRO Enforcement Action?

I was wondering if anyone else has any information about what action and more importantly, how quickly FRO acts in response to collecting arrears? I've got some partial information from FRO but it doesn't seem to add up to much.

My ex has decided to take a "voluntary" unpaid leave of absence and claims because he has zero income he doesn't have to pay any child support/spousal support anymore.

After hanging on the phone for what seemed eternity I spoke to a "person" at FRO who informed me that yes they had received that this information from his employer and now would be taking steps to enforce the court order.

He is already over $4,000 behind in arrears. Asked what action would be taken and when, I was informed that a Federal order would be sent out today which would allow FRO to garnish any income tax credits etc. But that is only effective if he files his tax return.

In a month his driving license would be suspended. But he would only be in trouble if he was ever stopped by a police officer. Otherwise he could continue driving without a license. A month later his passport would be suspended but it would only affect him if he wished to leave the country.

Asked about when they would take him to court, I was informed "there are many cases in front of yours, so it could take months before that happens and another 3-6 months before there is a court date." Theoretically, I could be waiting for another year or more before I see anymore child support.

How are parents supposed to manage financially in the meantime? I just don't get it. I thought including FRO in the final court order was supposed to be helpful.

Garnishment of income tax refunds, suspension of driver's license and revocation of passports are serious measures.

What else can you do? Put him in jail where he has zero chance of earning income to pay?

Comment

He seems to have enough money to continue buying on Ebay, so I suspect he still has income just under the table through other means.

Lives with his parents, (aside from the two of the four years of marriage when I convinced him we should have our own place), he has always lived with his mom and dad, pays no rent, no bills and nothing for grocery. But has a fleet of classic cars including a Rolls Royce and two limousines. So don't feel too sorry for him.

But you are right, throwing him in jail is not going to get us anywhere.

Comment

So tell the FRO about his cars, other assets and bank a/c's if you know. They can have his assets seized.

And I don't feel sorry for him.

Comment

Once arrears reach $3000 they are supposed to start enforcement actions as described by others in this thread. This one is from my lawyer" $12,000 seems to be thier magic number" He has seen hundreds of cases where FRO has dragged thier butts repeatedly. Many a time as well despite expired and non jurisdictional orders. ( my current spouse has both those items ) If you are curious as to just what FRO can do/impact of thier actions give his blog a read, www.livinganightmare.spaces.live.ca

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
          Working...
          X