X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• common law

Family Law Question

I am ending a Common law relationship. We have no children. We have split the shared expenses and equity of our property, it has been sold. We have both acquired new properties last month (October 2009), but live in the same house.

I understand that I am not obligated to any financial support if we split under the Federal Family Law act of under 3 years. This date will be November 30, 2009.

My concern is that my Common Law Wife, will not be physically out of our home until December 7, 2009. Technically 7 days after that legal time of three years.

I have spoken to a lawyer and he has advised that I am under no further financial obligation to my CLW. I have a pension, she has none. Is she in a legal position to sue me for support (alimony) and for a pension beneifits in that the anniversary has gone 7 days past the legal limit?

Thank you
Our Divorce Forums
Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
Working...
X