X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tax refund Zero

Hello Everybody,

CAn anyone give me a rough idea on weather or not I should get a refund.
    All recent years my tax refund has been $400+.But somehow this year its showing zero.I am living on OSap,paid close to 14000 in rent,paid 1400 in kids fitness activities and i am a single parent of two with sole custody.
    How come my tax refund is zero.I am filing my own taxes since 2006 with ufile ,then what i am doing wrong this year?
    Any help is appreciated

If you have no taxable income and therefore pay no tax, there is nothing to refund. Refunds are issued when you pay more tax than you should, if you have not paid any taxes there is nothing to refund. Or at least that's the way I see it.

Comment

There should be some refundable credits. There is no way to know without looking at your return.

Comment

Hello Sufferer, in order to know what you are entitled to I would need more information such as province of residence. Based on some assumptions from information above and being located in Ontario you would likely be entitled to the Children's Activity Credit for Ontario which is a 10% refundable credit based on the max of $509 per child you could be entitled to a refund of up to approx $102 the rent credit again assuming Ontario is paid monthly under the Ontario Trillium Benefit. Not many provinces offer Rent/Property tax credits so if you are in another province there may be different credits available.

Comment

Ufile has a handy comparison function, so you can look at this year's and last year's return side by side, and see at a glance where there are differences and if there are numbers you forgot to put in.

Comment

and, you don't have to pay until you file it, so you can just go to the website and crunch the numbers for free.

Comment

No taxes paid, no refund! I am in the same situation, doesnt matter about medical bills,prescriptions, kids tutoring or sports.. I understand it and feel its fair personally..

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
              Working...
              X