This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Before moving in

My boyfriend wants us to live common law & do a cohabitation agreement. He says he wants to set it up so I would have the same benifits as if we were married. In Ontario can the cohab be set up to split the house 50/50 & everything else a married person would be entitled to no matter who's name is on what & how much each makes?
    I am on ODSP & he makes a lot. I don't want to find myself penniless with no pension & end up on welfare if things don't work out. I don't want to make a fortune off him but I would like to at least put a roof over my head & feed myself should he decide he no longer wants me.

Where do you currently live? How are you currently supporting yourself?

You should, I expect, end up in exactly the same place you are right now if the relationship does not work out.

But, yes, I would think that a contract is a contract, and if he wants to enter into a contract to give you 50% of the house (or its value) and 50% of everything else he owns then that's up to him.

Comment

still questioning

I live in Ontario & I recieve Ontario Disability Support & that will end if I move in because he makes too much money.

I guess my other concern is can anything be done to cover the 3 years until we are "officially" common law or does a cohab agreement cover from day 1 or from Year 3 of when you are living together?

Thanks for any help.
      J

Comment

He can sign over half of the house from day 1.

Common law is two years. It only deals with spousal support. If you want to co-own property or belongings, this is covered in your co-hab and applies immediately. From what you describe this agreement puts you in a better position than if you marry.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
        Working...
        X