Clear All

Originally posted by FB_ View Post
    We need more info to really help you

Date Married?
    Kids?
    How Many?
    How Old?
    Date separated?
    House Info - When purchased, by whom, when you lived there, how long etc.

If you were married the house is 50% yours no matter whose name is on it. Unfortunately the only way to get removed from the house is what has occurred to you.

How long ago were you removed from the house?
    I'm doing the equalization now. I've got my excel spreadsheet showing date of marriage, asset and liabilities going in, and date of separation showing assets/liabilities on that date. So, if I understand correctly, I just need to find out which spouse became more valuable during the marriage, divide the difference btwn them by 2, and that will be the payment that will be made to the less valuable spouse.

So, then, what about financial stuff after the date of separation? The house contents in the matrimonial home need to be valued (as of when?) and half of that value is paid to the person no longer living in the house?

What about property taxes and condo fees on rental properties, condo's in other countries, timeshares that have accumilated since the date of separation (3 years ago). If most properties were in one spouse's name and they kept up all the payments since separation, wouldn't the other spouse be responsible for half those expenses? If payments had not been made, the properties would have certainly defaulted and the matr home could have been at risk of being seized by the bank.

Comment

The house contents in the matrimonial home need to be valued (as of when?) and half of that value is paid to the person no longer living in the house?
      As of the day of SEPARATION as opposed to the ACTUATION day. The cost of each item is divided by 2, and you apply the amount to both parties

What about property taxes and condo fees on rental properties, condo's in other countries, timeshares that have accumilated since the date of separation (3 years ago).
      Split the amount based on date of separation, not today. You are always working with this specific date, not what it's worth now.

Comment

I believe if property is still joint owned the value on the date it is transferred is what needs to be split not the date of separation.

If the property were owned before marriage and is in your name only and not the matrimonial home (Condo) it would go on the NFP with the value on the date of marriage and the value at date of separation. Any increase in value between date of marriage and separation needs to be split.

Comment

Just so you know you should price the contents of the house at "garage sale" value.

There is almost zero point in fighting over house contents. People think their stuff is worth way more than it is.

For example that 60" plasma is not worth $1000 you paid for it... you could probably get $200 for it on Kijiji or at a garage sale.

Some things hold their value better than others.

Unless the stuff in the house is literally brand new I guarantee you will waste more fighting over it than you'll ever get back.

Comment

Just so you know you should price the contents of the house at "garage sale" value.

There is almost zero point in fighting over house contents. People think their stuff is worth way more than it is.

For example that 60" plasma is not worth $1000 you paid for it... you could probably get $200 for it on Kijiji or at a garage sale.

Some things hold their value better than others.

Unless the stuff in the house is literally brand new I guarantee you will waste more fighting over it than you'll ever get back.
            The problem is that the person gives up the fight is the one who has to shell out major money replacing everything. So they aren't fighting so much over the cost of the items they currently own, it's about preventing the great cost of having to buy new stuff. The cost is either brand new replacements from a store, or the time and effort of scouring Kijiji and garage sales to save money.

And how fair is it for one spouse to get all the household items and the other to get nothing? People will spend a great deal of money to fight over 'fairness.'

As for the original post, no, the rent expenses after you left the matrimonial home (for whatever reason) are not something you can recoup. Post separation, you both have living expenses, either together in the same home or in separate homes.

What you can get back is occupational rent, as explained. She has lived in a home owned half by you, and owes you rent accordingly. This will likely amount to your share of the mortgage plus a bit more.

Comment

I believe if property is still joint owned the value on the date it is transferred is what needs to be split not the date of separation.

If the property were owned before marriage and is in your name only and not the matrimonial home (Condo) it would go on the NFP with the value on the date of marriage and the value at date of separation. Any increase in value between date of marriage and separation needs to be split.
              Thanks FB, and others who have replied.

Comment

I believe someone would be "sucking the hind tittie"

Comment

^Lord Almighty...where did that come from?

Bad language free zone

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                  Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                  Working...
                  X