Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law

Divorce & Family Law This forum is for discussing any of the legal issues involved in your divorce.

Closed Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 06:47 PM

Femme is on a distinguished road
Default Family Responsibility Office Question?

Can Family Responsibility Office get involved and garnish wages with a signed seperation agreement even though it never went through the courts.

Everything I am reading on their website is saying that it has to be "court ordered"

But my friend's ex was able to garnish his wages through FRO with just the seperation agreement signed by them/no court order.
Old 05-17-2011, 07:38 PM

fieldgrey is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Femme View Post
Can Family Responsibility Office get involved and garnish wages with a signed seperation agreement even though it never went through the courts.

Everything I am reading on their website is saying that it has to be "court ordered"

But my friend's ex was able to garnish his wages through FRO with just the seperation agreement signed by them/no court order.
A signed and witnessed separation agreement is subject to FRO actions as though it were a court order. It needs to be registered with the FRO before actions begin, and they may have questions regarding it before taking action.

FG
Old 05-17-2011, 08:00 PM

DunnMom is on a distinguished road

Short answer is NO ...

HOWEVER, if you have a signed & witness domestic contract (separation agreement), you can file it with the courts yourself and will then get a File # which the FRO will use for enforcement.

The form is located here:

http://www.ontariocourtforms.on.ca/f...ept105_ODA.pdf

It's 1 page long, you fill it out, bring it to your local courthouse and it's done.

Hope this helps )
Old 05-17-2011, 08:09 PM

fieldgrey is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DunnMom View Post
Short answer is NO ...

HOWEVER, if you have a signed & witness domestic contract (separation agreement), you can file it with the courts yourself and will then get a File # which the FRO will use for enforcement.

The form is located here:

http://www.ontariocourtforms.on.ca/f...ept105_ODA.pdf

It's 1 page long, you fill it out, bring it to your local courthouse and it's done.

Hope this helps )

My bad, I forgot that the agreement needs to be registered with the court first. DunnMom is correct: register the agreement with court, then file with FRO.

FG
Old 05-18-2011, 11:30 AM

marknuck311 is on a distinguished road

Interesting, I should do that - my seperation agreement is only signed, not court ordered.
My ex actually submitted me to the FRO a couple of months ago, even though I've always paid by the guideline, in full and on time, every month - even the rep at FRO was shocked I was submitted to them!
Old 07-26-2011, 10:00 PM

neverending is on a distinguished road

as soon as anything if "filed" in court it goes to FRO that has become a standard now days. you may think FRO is a pain, but really if you paid support before with out issue and continue to do so then you will never have an issue with them.
Closed Thread