This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• National Missing Childrens Day

May 25th is National Missing Childrens Day in the USA.

The possibility of losing your child or children forever is a parent's worst nightmare. After 33 years the NYPD finally caught the person who abducted and murdered Etan Patz, a 6 year old on his way to school.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/25/ny...mid=FB-nytimes

The parents at the time were criticized for "allowing" their six year old to walk by himself. It raises a lot of serious questions about how much we should "protect" our children. Is the world more dangerous now then it was back in the 60s and 70s or are we simply more aware of the dangers. At what age would you let your child roam around unaccompanied?

Nadia

At 6, definitely not - but as they get older, really depends on the child's maturity level and street smarts. Really a tough question to answer b/c a determined predator, or predators will go to any lengths. Leslie Mahaffy was 14 and Kristen French was 15 when they were plucked off the street by Bernardo and Homolka. . It was broad daylight when they pulled Kristen into their car.

I think I felt a little more at ease with things when my son was around 11 or so. I've also made him aware of various potential scenarios. As well, I imagine the school teaches them about Stranger Danger. I believe "most" incidents involving small/young children involve a person that knows the child. (Family "Friend" or Relative).

I grew up in a big city. I was on public transportation (by myself) at the age of 10. Seems strange to me now, but there were plenty of other kids doing the same. Now I'm in the burbs, my son has never been on ANY public transport and he's 13!!!

Kids going missing: It's a scary thought, all of it. It's incredible that the perpetrator in above story was identified after 33 years! I have not opened the link yet. The case sparked the "Child Find" movement.
    Last edited by hadenough; 05-24-2012, 11:01 PM.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
    Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
    Working...
    X