Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sanity Check Requested (First time poster)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sanity Check Requested (First time poster)

Hi – first time poster here. I’m looking for feedback on my support agreement that we signed last year. Specifically, when we file for divorce (uncontested), will this agreement pass the reasonability test or should I expect trouble from the courts?
    • Child Support: We follow the federal tables
    • Spousal Support Amount: I pay her 3.75% of the difference between our base salaries annually (paid monthly)
    • Spousal Support Duration: 4 years (5/1/09 – 4/1/13)
    • Married: 7.5 years
    • Kids: 2 (7 + 5)
    • Custody: Shared 50/50
    • Childcare Expenses: Shared 50/50

Income - Me:
    • Total Income (Line 150): $171,606
    • Taxable Income (Line 260): $152,280
    • Total Taxes Payable (Line 435): $51,310

Income – Her:
    • Total Income (Line 150): $52,398*
    • Taxable Income (Line 260): $37,453
    • Total Payable (Line 435): 4,378
    • Universal Child Care Benefit (Line 117): $1,900
    *included $2,400 in spousal support I paid her ($300/month from 5/1/09-12/1/09)

Child Support:
    • My number: $2,243.63
    • Her number: $753.00
    • Difference: $1,489.63
    Spousal Support:
    • (My base salary – Her base salary) * 3.75% / 12
    • ($149,000 – $49,000) * 3.75 = $3,750 annually, or $312.50

Total Support:
    • $1,489.63 + $312.50 = $1,802.13
    Thanks for your assistance.

If I have left out any pertinent information, please let me know...

Edit: We split all childcare costs, clothing, activities, etc. 50/50.

If a judge were to decide, then you would be sharing child care and other special expenses (e.g. sports, medical) proportionate to your incomes. Also the SS looks low but I'm not an expert on that area, so I don't know.

If you have both been abiding by the terms you lay out, and she is in agreement with them going forward, then the court will probably endorse your arrangement. A judge may ask the questions above, but more importantly, the court will probably be content that you have worked it out between the two of you and grant the divorce.

Comment

Much detail - However, is it more advantageous for each parent to claim primary residence of one of their children considering shared custody?

On the face, although shared custody - both children live primarily with the other parent.

Welcome to the forum...

Comment

I agree that the spousal support aappears a bit low, but then again we don't know the full situation.

Supposed to bring her up to 45% of the Net Disposable Income, but when you factor in CCTB/UCCB (appears the OP is allowing her to collect it for the full 12 months), Spousal, etc....it's probably pretty close.

He's in a much higher tax bracket than she would be.

Note on the activities...it appears that he is willing to split ALL activities/etc, regardless of whether they fall under the "special expenses" category or not.

As long as she's ok with it, looks alright to me.

Comment

Thanks for the assistance...

Given that this is year two of our separation, this is the first time we've had to alter the CS and SS amounts (since signing the SA). What do we need in the form of an agreement to the new terms? Thanks...

Comment

CS is supposed to increase or decrease according to the custody arrangements and the incomes of the parents automatically anyway. Most of the time it's written into a formal separation agreement to avoid having to return to court just to have it formalized.

If you DON'T automatically adjust it, you can be forced to pay it anyway at any time in the future. Automatically adjusting it saves you some pretty big financial headaches in the long run.

I would imagine agreement in writing between you is sufficient to show good faith.

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

1) Would we need to have witnesses present and signing for this?
              2) Does anyone have a link to sample templates?

Comment

I would recommend having a lawyer look over it. That is not something you want thrown out because one of you didn't get independant legal advice.

Comment

Considering potential of EQ to spouse amount for each child ... I recommend you run the numbers by a CA. Heres why...

For tax year 2009, Line 305 - 10,320.00...substantial over years.

Split the CTB and increase periodic spousal (to reflect CTB Split)...which is also tax deductible.

Comment

Calculation

I put your numbers through the spousal support calculator but of course there is a ton of missing information - for example

(1) are there rotating or non rotating benefits?
                    (2) who pays for benefits such as medical dental etc? Perhaps one employer covers them and the other does not?
                    (3) are you basing your child support on your total income? it seems way too high - I based it on your base salary 149,000
                    (4) why the big difference between your base and total income? To get a proper calculation, an assessment of that income would be needed to determine whether support should be based on it ie did you receive a bonus or is it investment income?

Having said all that, here is my ballpark figure for you (and it is really a ballpark because of missing information)

You owe her between 300 and 600 more per month in spousal support than what you are paying.

Comment

Originally posted by dadtotheend View Post
                      Also the SS looks low but I'm not an expert on that area, so I don't know.
                      Originally posted by Desperate_Dad View Post
                      You owe her between 300 and 600 more per month in spousal support than what you are paying.
                      God I'm good

Comment

LV:
                        -my line 305 was blank - where did you get 10,320.00 from?

-we are not splitting the CTB - didn't even understand that one. I just checked her NOA and the CTB for her is $3,941.52. Mine is zero. Next steps?

DD:
                        -I am covering the two children under my benefits plan - agreement states that generally, the higher income earner will provide coverage

-Total income includes an annual bonus that ranges from 15K-25K. For 2009 it was 22K. I assumed that I had to include that in the Child Support calc.???

Comment

If it affects your line 150 amounts, it'll count anyway. If it doesn't affect line 150, then no, you shouldn't have to as far as I am aware.

Adjust the payments based on the line 150 amounts and use the agreed to calculations. That way she can't go after you for retro CS (since you adjusted it automatically) and with spousal being such a grey area anyway (besides, sounds like you both agreed to how it's calculated)

Did you both have independant legal advise when the SA was signed?

Email her a summary of the new information ahead of time, especially if it means any significant changes in the payments (so she has time to plan for the reduction) and cut her some postdated cheques for the year. Call it a wash. She wants to argue it, let her bring a motion to vary before the court.

The CS payments are hard core set in stone, if the line 150 amounts mean that they need to change, you HAVE to change them. Otherwise you could be on the hook for retro CS years in the future if she decides to go after you. Adjusting the SS payments at the same time simply shows good faith and that you are being reasonable and equitable about it.

As long as the payments are in line with the signed SA calculations, you should be good to go. Put the onus on her to try to fight it in court if she wants, but the fact you adjusted per the SA, AND gave her a heads up ahead of time will count against her.

Comment

General Income Tax and Benefit Guide - 2009 : Federal non-refundable tax credits (Schedule 1)

Line 305 amount could be claimed by each parent - if criteria is met - If each child lived with one parent primarily and each parent paid child support to the other parent for the child that does not primarily reside -- Split tax free CTB and increase tax deductible periodic spousal support in lieu of any shortfalls It's is a great way to income split based on presumption that each parent conforms to criteria of line 305 as amended from year to year.

Crunch the numbers...your two children are young...

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                            Working...
                            X