X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Closing arguments/ submissions

Hello everyone!

Yes I am still alive and getting ready to final part of my trial which coming.

I am still struggling with putting together submissions. Does anyone have some real examples of submissions? I need something to get an idea, what is proper wording, how to point to case law/ research and so on...

and another question can you actually refer to some cases what is not in your Books of authorities? I find something else what looks like good to refer but my book of authorities already with Justice and other party...

Thank you

PS:
    ...yes I remember that I promised to provide detail report about my trial experience and I will after it finished...

I think , you can

Comment

So is it true that you need to submitt you cases (Book of authorities) in advance to the other party's lawyer?

thanks.
      CD.

Comment

Originally posted by CycleDad View Post
        So is it true that you need to submitt you cases (Book of authorities) in advance to the other party's lawyer?

thanks.
        CD.
        Not really. I submitted mine in middle of a trial. Other party lawyer submitted his about same time and than later he submitted addition to it with some other case (which did not help them )

Comment

Just needs to be before the final submissions? Final Submissions happen tomorrow.

CD

Comment

I believe it's okay to refer to a case after you've already filed your Book of Authorities, as long as you bring a copy for the judge and the other party and the other party doesn't have a problem with it. Good luck! You'll be great

Comment

So If I bring the stuff in the morning that should be OK?

Comment

I was under the impression that you submit case law during the court case, but this can (or should?) be done beforehand; is this correct?
                Last edited by Teenwolf; 03-26-2012, 02:49 AM.

Comment

Yes it can and should be done beforehand.
                  My STBX is represented by a family law lawyer and the lawyer has a habit of disclosing the "case brief" the day before final submissions start. There doesn't seem to be rules for this, just professional courtesy to get it ahead of time. That has been my experience.

Comment

Anyone have any idea of how to compile a case brief? Is it just a folder with a table of contents and the case law?

Comment

Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
                      Anyone have any idea of how to compile a case brief? Is it just a folder with a table of contents and the case law?
                      Yes except that it is a "bound book" with a coverpage somewhat resembling the first page of many of the family law legal forms. Court file number, respondent info, applicant info, title, etc.

CD

Comment

Originally posted by CycleDad View Post
                        Yes except that it is a "bound book" with a coverpage somewhat resembling the first page of many of the family law legal forms. Court file number, respondent info, applicant info, title, etc.

CD
                        Thanks. Forgive me, but what is a "bound book"?

Comment

Kind of like a duo-tang or binder. I personally hole punch all the papers and use 2 inch brass fasteners from staples as a cheap method to bind them together. There is no one perfect way to do it. I have not had any complaints from the court or the other side's lawyer. A more expensive but nicer way to do it is to bind everything with acco binding system (hard to describe think a large flat staple that binds papers through their punched holes) and include tabbed dividers. Also you can group your table of contents (or index) by topic/subject etc.

If your in trial as a respondent you would have received a Trial record bound in a similar way. I learned the format mostly by copying the opposing lawyer.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                          Working...
                          X