This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• financial separation?

Ok, someone is going to reem me out for not completely severing the financial stuff at separation, but there were problems doing that. Anyway, I knew the consequences, so please help me figure out what to do

My ex just informed me that he was close to filing for bankruptcy and consolidated his debts. He claims I have to pay out the company half of $240, becasue the line of credit had my name on it.

I'm unsure if I have to pay, because I did not sign an agreement with this company. He arranged all on his own to do this.

Now, to keep things civil, I may go ahead and pay. I had already paid my share (plus interest) of the line of credit last June, after I offered him financial settlement. He did not indicate acceptance, but I didn't want to keep racking up the interest, so I put my money in and paid off what I owed. He still owed $2500.

He also claims that my credit will suffer because they took away his Visa. I had a card to this visa, but I never signed anythign to add me to the account. Pretty sure I confirmed this previously. Will this affect me? All of this happened recently, 18 months post separation.

Apparently there is also a gas company that is threatening to send a bill to the creditors because he did not pay out $40 which was his. I told him to give them my information to call me, as he doesn't know who it is. But he also said he did pay them and that he's not sure if they are still pursuing the creditor angle since he hasn't heard from them. My name is on this account.

The rest of the conversation consisted of him telling me he was thinking of going back to school and that means I'll have to pay him more CS. Said it was only fair, since I went back to school. What he wouldn't recognize is that I only go part time, still work FT and there has been no effect financially on him because of this. At this point I could be getting CS from him, but I waived it just to get his agreement to settle custody.

Advice?

Pay the $240 and the $40. That is cheaper on your nerves than the money you loose.
    It seems you had a supplemental card to his visa account. Doesn't matter what he does, it doesn't effect you. If I call visa and ask them to send me a supplemental card, I can even request them to put "Magilla Gorilla" as a name on it.
    Screwing you with the school is not fair. BUT if as a result of the full-time school he gets a better job sooner and after that he will be able to pay more CS to you, then it might worth letting the CS waiving from him now.
    It seems he is in a bad shape financially. If you help (or just let) him get out of that mess sooner, you help your children on the long term. If he just wants to avoid paying CS, then you can go back to court and try to convince the judge to impute an income on him. This might cost more than the CS you will receive if you are successful.

Comment

That's along the lines I am thinking.

Technically I was supposed to be paying CS for the last 6 months, but I was becasue he would not give me his line 150. Now with a new job he should be paying me, but since it's only for 4 months we agreed to waive the whole year and start fresh July 1, 2011. I will probably be paying him, but only a samll amount.

So until that date happens, neither of us should be applying due to material change.

I could fight him on the money to the consolidation place, but I probably won't. Just 2 days off work for court/ court process would eliminate that. And we all know how long this crap takes. Could cost me 5-10 times that much!

I refuse to help him out of his mess, but if it comes down to me paying something he thinks I owe (even if I don't) I may just do it in order to move on. It's likely he won't sign a joint divorce application if I don't, and probably cause some stink trying to delay it. It's not worth the hassle and will hurt my kid in the meantime.

And to think I was feeling sorry for him for his injury. He seriously injured himself at work yesterday and will be off on comp for 6 weeks minimum. Guess he took his anger and frustration out on me ...again. too bad it didn't bother me in the least this time

Comment

File a simple divorce instead once you get agreement on the financials.

As long as everything is worked out re: custody/access, support and equalization he can't contest it.

Comment

But if he won't sign off on the financials can I then sever the divorce and apply?

Custody and access is already agreed upon. I just have to file the paperwork on Thursday and wait for the order.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
          Working...
          X