• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• non-custodial parent relocation

facts
    mother has primary custody
    father has had reasonable access since child was 4
    child is now 11

mother once wanted to relocate, the courts denied this request.
    now the father has moved 18 hour drive away for better employment

Who is responsible for travel costs?

Father....

Comment

thats what I would assume, however i cant seem to find any case law that has to do with the non custodial parent relocating. I am a student so i access to QuickLaw and have been looking at cases for over an hour.

So my next step then is to tell him that while i will not deny him access, i will not take responsibility for transportation arrangements but will be flexible with dates (considering it costs more or less on different dates) and will facilitate transportation to and from the airport/local family members home for transport. In fact, if he wants more than half of the time, he can take up to two thirds the winter/summer/spring breaks and have access for any long weekend under reasonable limits.

Does this sound fair?

Comment

My case was close. I had custody of my daughter and ex had son where we lived 60 minutes away in NB. I moved with my daughter to Ottawa, then got custody of my son later on. By order, I always had to pay access costs. Recently in a case conference, the judge said the court would likely order me to continue to contribute to that.

Two more points:

A parent can't have a close relationship with a child seeing them on holidays.

You work where you can, even if it means moving.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
        Working...
        X