This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone self rep in civil court?

I have some family issues that can not be dealt with in Family Court.

Has anyone self repped in civil or is it too scary in civil??

nah bro, its laid back compared to family, whats your issue i deal alot of civil, dont forget to tell me what province your in.

Comment

Originally posted by SynGreis View Post
      nah bro, its laid back compared to family, whats your issue i deal alot of civil, dont forget to tell me what province your in.
      Ontario
      Need to enforce a contract on money I loaned (250K plus) plus a stolen vehicle that I want returned (a classic appraised at 88K)

Other side has deep pockets and dirty as hell.

I was told by lawyers (who wanted a 15k retainer btw) that if I self rep in civil I would be murdered by the other side and the judge. Are they lying to me?

Comment

obviously, how do you think lawyers make money, by lying to you saying you NEED them. trust me bro, if you got evidence to back your side you got it shut down., lay out what you got and i can maybe direct you.

Comment

Originally posted by SynGreis View Post
          obviously, how do you think lawyers make money, by lying to you saying you NEED them. trust me bro, if you got evidence to back your side you got it shut down., lay out what you got and i can maybe direct you.

Are you in Ontario?

I have a contract for the money and a Judge's order for the vehicle. BUT I also have to sue a police officer. So that means he'll have a high powered lawyer courtesy of us- the tax payer.

Comment

Yes you will be facing a team of lawyers from the city of _____ police department paid for by the tax payer and/or the officer's union. Self representing isn't a bad idea sometimes in family court because it's been my experience that more latitude is given to self-represented. I don't believe it is the same with civil court.

Do you have security for the money or is it non-secured? I assume you have registered a lien on the vehicle in question. Judge's order is all fine and well but if the person who has it tries to sell it, judge's order won't stop a registry clerk from changing registration. Might be prudent to check.

Comment

I should also add to be prepared for a judge in civil court to dismiss any motions you bring forward and redirect back to family court. I know about this and lost a pile of money as civil court refused to deal with my business matters as my business partner who defrauded me was my ex-husband. Total waste of time and money for me.

Comment

Originally posted by danzuchy View Post
                Ontario
                Need to enforce a contract on money I loaned (250K plus) plus a stolen vehicle that I want returned (a classic appraised at 88K)

Other side has deep pockets and dirty as hell.

I was told by lawyers (who wanted a 15k retainer btw) that if I self rep in civil I would be murdered by the other side and the judge. Are they lying to me?
                If the car is stolen then report it stolen to the police. As to the loan, I take it there was an agreement drawn up that listed repayment terms and all those sorts of details??

Comment

Originally posted by standing on the sidelines View Post
                  If the car is stolen then report it stolen to the police. As to the loan, I take it there was an agreement drawn up that listed repayment terms and all those sorts of details??

Uhhh it was done by a police officer.

Anyways this is getting off topic. I want experience of self repped in civil court.

Comment

Then perhaps try asking on a civil court forum, rather than a divorce forum.

Comment

Originally posted by blinkandimgone View Post
                      Then perhaps try asking on a civil court forum, rather than a divorce forum.

You want to point me to one and what's got you so "riled" up? As a moderator you shouldn't act like a Nazi. Maybe goosestep back to the miserable ex's forum and mod there.

This forum did better when jilted ex's weren't marching around like Gestapo wannabes.

Comment

How about you do your own research?

Comment

http://www.ottawadivorce.com/forum/f3/message-board-rules-12635/

Moderation
                          Mods will not delete or move posts willy-nilly, we will make decisions based on quantity, quality, and intensity. Mods are also ordinary members and post frequently, this has nothing to do with being Mods. Moderation is just housekeeping performed by an agreement between the board owner and the Mods. Do not complain about the Mods on the board, such posts will be immediately removed.

<!-- / message -->
                          <!-- controls -->
                          Last edited by blinkandimgone; 10-19-2012, 11:05 AM. Reason: Thanks for coming out :)

Comment

Originally posted by danzuchy View Post
                            Thanks Der Fuhrer.

Comment

Due to danzuchy's inability to post without being offensive, this thread is now closed.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X