This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help needed

I live in alberta and I am just out of a ten year cl relationship. We have two daughters, one being mine and the other from a previous relationship. My step daughters father has paid child support from the beginning and she has gone to see him for regular visits througout the years. We had a rocky relationship mostly due to money issues. Other than a couple years of her going to school she has worked and made about 10-20 percent less than myself. I am a subcontractor and am kind of embarrassed to sa that my tax situation is fairly ugly. Long story short my tax bill is about 50 grand for about 7 years. I make on average about 50 grand a year and I have been paing her 550 a month and 100 dollars for her insurance. I feel this is enough based on the table and I pay half of the 350 a month daycare. She is threatening to take me to court because this is not enough for her and she says her lawyer is going for support for both kids and spousal support at over 1500 a month. This sounds crazy to me as this would be half my gross wage. I'm going crazy here, what is she entitled to? I want to do what is right and I feel I am.

Child support and spousal

Since the stepdaughter's father has been providing support all along I don't think she is entitled to "double dip" the child support payments. It would be different had there been no support from father and you had been providing support all along.

Base child support from the tables is related to income. However, since your income is slightly higher than hers you should have a 60-40 split on other expenses such as daycare, etc.

Not sure about the spousal support but it appears she wants it! Not fair is it? My ex moved out of our home and in with her new partner. I have both kids 100% of the time and pay almost all expenses. She requested $950 per month in alimony. She makes 45K a year and has virtually no expenses other than food. I refused... told her since there is no money left at the end of each month there is no way a judge will grant that. Of course I don't know that for sure but so far no court date.

One thing though - don't short change your kid. If you would have spent the money on them while you were together then do so now.

Comment

can somebody please explain to me how to post a new subject on this website ..... please

Comment

go to the main forum...the one with all subjects. Click on the one that is the topic you need. Once your in there, you'll see the sign "new topic" and away you go.
        I had the same thing I was confused and determined to post a thread as well.
        Good luck

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
        Working...
        X