And I thought it's over!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rockscan View Post
    It doesn�t mean you will have to go through an additional several years.

My advice is to stop worrying about your ex and what she may or may not do. All it will do it feed into anxiety and anger. You can�t change her, you can only change your reaction to her.

Let her go and file something. Your case is not the same as your friend and there are plenty of cases where the case was dismissed. You don�t know what will happen or whether she will be successful. She has probably been told one of two things by her lawyer�she has no case or she has a case because they want her money. In the end the lawyer wins.

Live your life. Your kids will grow up and get married and have kids of their own which you will enjoy. Don�t waste any more energy on her.
    Thank you again. You're right, my lawyer said similar thing and he added that her case may be dismissed from the start, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Comfortably Numb View Post
      Thank you again. You're right, my lawyer said similar thing and he added that her case may be dismissed from the start, etc.

My husband spends a lot of time worrying about what might happen or what is happening that he doesn’t know about. It is normal for people who go through these situations. I have read that divorce can result in PTSD for some people. Focus on the things you can control rather than things you can’t. You aren’t a bad person and did everything you were responsible for. If your ex wants to hold onto anger and resentment thats on her. Living the best life is the greatest thing you can do!

Comment

Originally posted by Comfortably Numb View Post
        Here is my worry that is keeping me stressed even three years after divorce, my ex may in the future go to court to ask to change the terms of current separation agreement to ask for more spousal support
        Based on what you have said, it seems like it would be extremely unlikely. Fixed term spousal support, educated ex, pension divided at source, independent legal advice... yeah, you're good. Probably one of the most solid "won't be revisited" cases I've seen on this forum in a while.

Could she try? Of course she can, but when she loses she would have to pay for a good chunk of your lawyer. There are only so many times people can play that game.

That said, if your need for dramatic theatrics leads you to flee from Canada, you're free to do that.

Comment

Arabian is a she not a he. Her husband has been dragging her back to court every year for years after their divorce was settled and over. They live in different provinces and he still serves her with papers every year despite never being successful. She no longer hires a lawyer and now files the appropriate forms to respond to his materials. Her case is a prime example of the fact that your ex can take you to court forever as long as they live. In these cases it seems like the party who keeps going back to court has unresolved issues with their former partner and does not wish to move on and let them go.
          In such cases, moving to another province and/or country without leaving a forwarding address may be your only option if you want to be truely done with court. The problem arises if you have to exchange NOA’s yearly or if you have dependent children whom visit with the other parent.

Comment

Originally posted by Stillbreathing View Post
            Arabian is a she not a he. Her husband has been dragging her back to court every year for years after their divorce was settled and over. They live in different provinces and he still serves her with papers every year despite never being successful. She no longer hires a lawyer and now files the appropriate forms to respond to his materials. Her case is a prime example of the fact that your ex can take you to court forever as long as they live. In these cases it seems like the party who keeps going back to court has unresolved issues with their former partner and does not wish to move on and let them go.
            In such cases, moving to another province and/or country without leaving a forwarding address may be your only option if you want to be truely done with court. The problem arises if you have to exchange NOA’s yearly or if you have dependent children whom visit with the other parent.
            I believe he passed away so Arabian is no longer subject to constant court battles.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
            Working...
            X