X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting your file from lawyer

Hello Guys,

I need to find that do I have a legal right to get my file from my lawyer either it is a criminial or divorce case, after the case is closed. Or the lawyer always keep the file.

I wanted to get my file from my lawyer as one of the case is closed and I don't have another lawyer to transfer my file. All I wanted to do is keep the file in my record, so that in future if I have to consult another lawyer then I don't have to pay fee my lawyer again to give the new lawyer the file.

What is the best way to approach a lawyer to ask for the file.

Just ask for your file, as long as your bill is fully paid it should be no problem.

Comment

Your lawyer has to give you the file.As long as you paid her/him your account in full.They can remove certain notes and refferences that they made to build your defence.I had mine returned to me with no problem.It is your property.

Comment

Fortunately, true copy of the civil matter is kept at the held court by way of Continuing Record.

For the criminal matter - A file is available with respect to the information where the count was heard and Judicial endorsements. Because of Undertaking--Crown Brief, Disclosure and additional notes in defense would be lacking.

On written requests, the true copy of the files should be released by the lawyers on record for both matters. You do reserve a right of complaint under
        professional conduct with Upper Canada.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
        Working...
        X