Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Al-Anon

Just tossing out something that I've been wondering about off and on:

Did anybody here ever seek help from Al-Anon (support group for family members/spouses of alcoholics, affiliated with AA but not the same thing)? If so, did it help you?

I'm wondering if maybe I should've. I know hindsight is 20/20 ...

I used Al-anon when I was in my early teens to come to terms with one of my parents' drinking.

I continue to use AA for my drinking, and have encouraged many (over the years) to look into Al-anon for a support foundation.

Comment

A very similar train of thought, is whether to big brother/sister or not.

If you have the time, you should become one.

Oh, and give blood twice a year, too.

LOL

Comment

Originally posted by wretchedotis View Post
        A very similar train of thought, is whether to big brother/sister or not.

If you have the time, you should become one.

Oh, and give blood twice a year, too.

LOL
        My sister and I both attended Al-Anon meetings years ago to help us deal with the death of our father who had a serious drinking problem. It did help us a lot in dealing with the guilt/anger involved. I highly recommend it - it's good to associate with people who understand.

And since we're on the subject of doing things to make the world a better place, please go to your local animal shelter or SPCA and adopt a dog or cat. They will love you unconditionaly and never ask for SS or CS

Comment

Janibel,

Got the Humane Society cat already - check!

I'm wondering if Al-Anon would help me with understanding why the ex wouldn't stop drinking, and the guilt that I couldn't "help" him. And then the related guilt for leaving. I do wonder if I'd had more insight into addiction while we were married, perhaps things could have turned out differently. But maybe that's all water under the bridge, and I'm never going to understand any more than I do now.

Comment

Originally posted by stripes View Post
            Janibel,

Got the Humane Society cat already - check!

I'm wondering if Al-Anon would help me with understanding why the ex wouldn't stop drinking, and the guilt that I couldn't "help" him. And then the related guilt for leaving. I do wonder if I'd had more insight into addiction while we were married, perhaps things could have turned out differently. But maybe that's all water under the bridge, and I'm never going to understand any more than I do now.
            Stripes,

You could not have helped him - even had you given him your own liver. If he had cancer you could do nothing, same thing, it's a disease. The guilt you feel is normal. My ex was abusive to me for years and the guilt kept me from leaving him. Even after separation I felt the need to try to 'fix' him. I know better now ...

Maybe your Ex needs to hit rock bottom before he gets the help he needs? Some never do. Don't make yourself crazy trying to understand it all, there was nothing you could have done to 'fix' his problem.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
            Working...
            X