Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Section 30 discovery meeting

Hi.

I have a section 30 discovery meeting. What happens there?
    My lawyer plans on going to the meeting but it will cost me $500 just in travel time, is this something that both parties can do remotely?

thank you.

Originally posted by notAngry View Post
    Hi.

I have a section 30 discovery meeting. What happens there?
    My lawyer plans on going to the meeting but it will cost me $500 just in travel time, is this something that both parties can do remotely?

thank you.
    It all depends on who the assessor is. You should have an assessment consultant working with you on all these questions. Especially if you have the capital to pay for a private Section 30 assessment.

Comment

Originally posted by Tayken View Post
      It all depends on who the assessor is. You should have an assessment consultant working with you on all these questions. Especially if you have the capital to pay for a private Section 30 assessment.
      An assessment consultant?
      Well the assessment is almost over and I didn't have one.
      I don't think it is going well for me, I talk too much and cast spouse in negative light, I was telling the truth and I was not really mean but still I did. After that I got a bad feeling
      I don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by notAngry View Post
        An assessment consultant?
        Well the assessment is almost over and I didn't have one.
        I don't think it is going well for me, I talk too much and cast spouse in negative light, I was telling the truth and I was not really mean but still I did. After that I got a bad feeling
        I don't know.
        An assessment consultant generally is someone that a top-notch lawyer has worked with their clients and advises them on how to conduct themselves during the assessment. They basically go over everything before each meeting (an hour before) and immediately after. They run the strategy on what to disclose to the assessor and set up the client for the next encounter.

For example, they would advise to "not talk too much" and "cast the spouse in a negative light". They are experts on relevance and generally have a medo-legal background of some sort. They also provide the high-priced lawyer with updates and log all the interactions with the clinician and feedback from the client. Generally, they are MUCH cheaper than the 550-650 an hour that a top tier lawyer charges per hour. (120-150 an hour)

They are also professionals in clinical assessment practices and specifically Section 30 reports. They may even be a clinician who has done (or does) Section 30 assessments themselves.

Assessments are basically setups to have one parent crap on the other (or both) to force them to make a recommendation of sole custody and majority access. If you have nothing nice to say... Say nothing.

The best mode of operation with an assessor is to answer yes or no to questions. Give little detail that they can use to evaluate the situation the better.

Good Luck!
        Tayken

Comment

Even without having an assessment consultant did you lawyer not advise you not to bash your ex? I don't have a top notch lawyer, but she did advise me to not to bash the ex or step-mom. It's Family Law 101 and common sense.

Comment

didn't bad mouth them so much as stated facts with examples almost all on point to support an ask.
            Saying the person is a "slob" doesn't help much.
            Saying the person has a room full of clothes that bugs live in is a different thing.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
            Working...
            X