This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 26 months and no settlement

Since last posting on this site many many months ago, I wanted to give an update, and ask a question. After 26 months of being separated, nothing much has changed.(My mental health is better and I have learned to deal with life on my own) My ex moved out of province and I have kept the children and kept up with the bills. His name is still on the mortgage and the property and with the exception of him making a few tax payments on the lake property, I have paid everything else(mortgage, taxes, insurance, utilities etc). I am living in the home with the children (who are doing very well) and have paid for renovations to the home that had to be done. I did have a lawyer but I could no longer continue months ago because of costs and the ex would not compromise. He pays support for one child ( amount determined by him- he won't show his t4) he visits every 4-6 months, and I give him unlimited access to the children when he does come to town. Every few months, I try to come to a compromise with him. He keeps insisting that I can "have" the house. (which means he would sign it over to my name only if I agree to take over the mortgage payments and he's off the hook for his half of the debt) That would be fine except in regards to the property, he also wants me to just sign it over to him free and clear. Here is my question. If I decided to retain my lawyer again, would the 26 month time period that I have been paying for virtually everything benefit me? Or does it make a difference? The last time we spoke, he informed me that he had his will altered so that if he should die, everything in his name would go to his two children, so they would co own my home and the property( these children are adults and we do not communicate) They would want everything sold to get money and I would have no recourse? I'd really like to conclude this separation, but I don't want a fight. I also don't want to pay for everything for the next fifteen years, only to lose it to his kids in the event of his death. Any suggestions?

Request Settlement. If they refuse or no desire then you have no other option than to seek the court's assistance to put closure on the issues.

lv

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
    Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
    Working...
    X