division of financial assets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• division of financial assets

Spouse A has 100K in RRSPs and 20K in cash.
    Spouse B has 0K in RRSPs and 120K in cash.

Is Spouse A entitled to send over 50K of their RRSPs to Spouse B in exchange for 50K in cash?

How does this work?

Was the rrsp acquired during the marriage?

Comment

house sale

If an offer comes in for the house and I match the offer plus say a dollar does my spouse have to let me buy the house?

Comment

No. Its the same as a stranger. If they don’t like the offer they can refuse it.

Comment

Originally posted by notAngry View Post
          Spouse A has 100K in RRSPs and 20K in cash.
          Spouse B has 0K in RRSPs and 120K in cash.

Is Spouse A entitled to send over 50K of their RRSPs to Spouse B in exchange for 50K in cash?
          Entitled as in "can A and B agree to do this?" or entitled as in "can A do this even though B vociferously disagrees?"

I think the answer to the first case is "sure!" and the answer to the second case is "not without a judge's order, and don't count on getting one".

If you are worried that cash has better utility than an RRSP (which it does, since an RRSP represents pre-tax income) then a better method of equalizing is to apply a discount to the value of the RRSPs.

So...

Spouse A has 100k in RRSPs worth about 70k
          Spouse B has 100k in cash worth about 100k

Spouse B owes Spouse A 15k in equalization cash. They go their separate ways into the sunset and never speak again.

Comment

Originally posted by summersimmer View Post
            If an offer comes in for the house and I match the offer plus say a dollar does my spouse have to let me buy the house?
            Usually if you try to hijack another thread you try to make your post at least marginally relevant to the original.

That said, if your offer is equivalent in every way (and I mean EVERY SINGLE WAY, including clauses, waivers, closing dates, etc.) but yours is numerically higher, it would be tough for ex to argue why it should not be sold to you. Note that this argument will require a court appearance which is $$$.

But... even if it was equal, ex could say that it takes a few months to get a good offer, especially in the current slow market.

My previous advice still applies, sell the house so you don't have to deal with this nonsense. Your attachment to a pile of bricks is unhealthy and a bit creepy.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
            Working...
            X