Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Parenting Issues

Parenting Issues This forum is for discussing any of the parenting issues involved in your divorce, including parenting of step-children.

Old 10-19-2015, 04:27 PM

BitHunter is on a distinguished road

I had a similar issue. The trip was planned for July. I booked and paid the trip in March. in April my ex decided that our daughter was not allowed to go to Cuba with me, "because they speak a foreign language there".
I immediately started a motion. Judge ordered OCL. (I got a corrupt sh*t worker from OCL, so her report is just a pile of crap.) On the next court appearance in December five months after the planned trip when the judge announced when she walked in the court room that she had 2 hours for 20 cases so I decided to give up as the judge never read anything in advance, and I didn't feel like hearing her decision she would come up with after a 6 minutes hearing.

The court is so unpredictable that even if you think it is a slam dunk, it is better to come to an agreement if there is any way. (actually we went to that trip in the middle of the court case because I threatened my ex that if she didn't agree us going to Cuba we would go camping in North Ontario and that was scarier for her than than Cuba. That was 2 years ago. This summer we had a 4 week amazing trip in Europe with my daughter without any arguments)
Old 10-19-2015, 04:35 PM

FB_ will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BitHunter View Post
I had a similar issue. The trip was planned for July. I booked and paid the trip in March. in April my ex decided that our daughter was not allowed to go to Cuba with me, "because they speak a foreign language there".
I immediately started a motion. Judge ordered OCL. (I got a corrupt sh*t worker from OCL, so her report is just a pile of crap.) On the next court appearance in December five months after the planned trip when the judge announced when she walked in the court room that she had 2 hours for 20 cases so I decided to give up as the judge never read anything in advance, and I didn't feel like hearing her decision she would come up with after a 6 minutes hearing.

The court is so unpredictable that even if you think it is a slam dunk, it is better to come to an agreement if there is any way. (actually we went to that trip in the middle of the court case because I threatened my ex that if she didn't agree us going to Cuba we would go camping in North Ontario and that was scarier for her than than Cuba. That was 2 years ago. This summer we had a 4 week amazing trip in Europe with my daughter without any arguments)

Did you have an order already that permitted travel?

I'd like to believe that my case will be different but this story is the exact reason I'm nervous

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-20-2015, 10:57 AM

good_mom is on a distinguished road

Good Luck today FB.

As long as you have a plan on how to deal with school for the kids, you will do fine. In an intact family that is what most do is have a plan for the kids return to school. If you had taken vacation with kids while married this is good to bring up since ex would have approved the travel.

You can take an educational spin on the travel by using it as an opportunity for them to learn about the culture, customs and history of that part of the world.

This is taking a child focus view on the travel instead of what OP is doing by saying NO.
Old 10-20-2015, 12:09 PM

I've received my travel consent. However no change to the existing order and no costs.

Thanks for everyone's help

Old 10-27-2015, 12:51 PM

dad2bandm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FB_ View Post
I've received my travel consent. However no change to the existing order and no costs...
Good to hear FB_.
I'm curious, what, if anything, was said, about no costs being awarded, by the judge?

Wasn't your ex basically just sticking with "I disagree", including up to being in front of the judge?

Enjoy your time away, with the kids.

Last edited by dad2bandm; 10-27-2015 at 12:51 PM. Reason: Finished thought.
Old 10-27-2015, 12:53 PM

She never filed any paperwork if any kind. She claimed that our daughters grades were not as good. Which is true and I addressed in my affidavit.

The judge said that it was not unreasonable for her to argue based on that fact and therefore no costs. I was so happy I won I didn't really argue the point or present it well. I had a whole written costs submission I had planned on giving and I totally chickened out.

Old 10-27-2015, 01:00 PM

dad2bandm is on a distinguished road

So does your consent last for future trips too?
Old 11-04-2015, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad2bandm View Post
So does your consent last for future trips too?

Nope. It was specific to this trip