Access to 18 year old son

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Access to 18 year old son

Ex has come out if the woodwork after 8 years. He was ordered only supervised access at a center when son was 10 and he refused because didn't want supervision. Ex suffers from psychosis and remains unmedicated and without any insight into his sickness. A no contact order was also put in place back in 2016 to protect myself and two children from him. So he is to have zero contact with me and only supervised access at a center for kids. One child is now 18 and he is wanting contact with that son over the phone. But I know how that will go. Starts with phone and he will end up over reaching since he is mentally ill and alone. I don't want my child to take on this burden. Did the no contact order expire for my son when he turned 18? There was no end date on that court order. I have not asked child if he wants to speak to his father. Need to know my legal rights first. I don't know what kind of healthy conversations can take place with ex going on about his delusions and paranoia. Also he wont follow any boundaries and my son will be caught in the middle having to police and school his dad. Not good for my son. He most likely is schizophrenic and refuses meds. This is the absolute worst time to want access with my son starting postsecondary and needs to focus. This is a nightmare about to unfold. I got some nice quiet years and that's just come to an end

Check your no contact order. It is a legal document. If there is no expiry date then it should still be in effect.

Comment

At 18 your son can make his own decisions but you could also put measures in place to assist him. You can also keep supervised access. I would suggest a therapist and have the ex visit that way and that person can provide a neutral and healthy barrier to the negative impacts of time with dad.

As much as you want to protect your child, there could also be resentment for preventing a relationship. Your son needs to understand his father’s illness and also learn to protect himself. Otherwise he may never be able to deal with him in the future.

Comment

Thanks for your reply. There is no due date. If my son is interested in making phone contact with his father would I have to change the court order first? I don't want to go against the law and I also hope to not spend another dime on legal fees. Lawyers already ate all the money from the matrimonial home, sorry but I'm still so bitter. But even losing all my money compares to the pain I'm dealing with regarding my kids. Access centers are closed so I'm glad he won't have access to my youngest. But how the shit does this work now?? After so many years he talks with eldest child but not the youngest? Sounds like we will all need therapy for this. What bullshit.

Comment

See if there is a geared to income support centre in your community like Family Service. You may have something with your work EAP too.

Your son could agree to speak to him with the no contact order in place with acknowledgement that it is his choice. That way if dad pulls a stunt kid can revert back with full protection. I would have a conversation with your son first and see how he feels. He may still want some supervision or support.

Comment

Originally posted by Helpmyspouse View Post
            One child is now 18 and he is wanting contact with that son over the phone.
            Your "adult child" is how you should refer to a 18 year old. At 18 if your "adult child" can go to jail for life then they are not a child. Unless they have special needs that requires you to have power of attorney over their decisions over their life.

Did the no contact order expire for my son when he turned 18?
            The restraining order would be registered with the police. Your adult child will need to go into to the local police department to inquire if the restraining order against the other parent is still in the system or has been removed. You cannot do this for your "adult child" as they are an "adult" under the law even though they are your "child".

You should provide them with a copy of the order that was made so the Peace Officer can validate it against their system and that the terms of "no contact" are outlined.

I have not asked child if he wants to speak to his father. Need to know my legal rights first.
            You have NO legal rights. The ***adult child*** has the legal rights unless they have special needs and you have full power of attorney over them. Otherwise you should give them the necessary information to validate the status of the restraining order with the police and they should make the ***adult decision*** (as they are an ADULT) to contact the other parent or to have the restraining order removed.

I don't know what kind of healthy conversations can take place with ex going on about his delusions and paranoia. Also he wont follow any boundaries and my son will be caught in the middle having to police and school his dad. Not good for my son.
            Your son is an Adult. Adults have to deal with family members with mental health issues all the time. At 18 there are people who deal with worse situations. There are 18 years olds who have parents in jail for Murder 1 and deal with it. It is time for you to allow your "child" to be an adult and make this decision, which they should be doing, without your interference.

Again, unless this child has a ***special need*** and cannot consent to their own medical treatment, run their own finances and be an "adult" and you have power of attorney over them.

This is all part of the process of being an adult. What would happen if you say, unfortunately died from a cardiac event? Who would police the relationship between your ADULT child and his other parent? You should get out of the way and let your child be an adult and make decisions.

Helicoptering around isn't helping your "child" be the "adult" that society expects him to be.

Comment

Originally posted by Tayken View Post
              Your "adult child" is how you should refer to a 18 year old. At 18 if your "adult child" can go to jail for life then they are not a child. Unless they have special needs that requires you to have power of attorney over their decisions over their life.

The restraining order would be registered with the police. Your adult child will need to go into to the local police department to inquire if the restraining order against the other parent is still in the system or has been removed. You cannot do this for your "adult child" as they are an "adult" under the law even though they are your "child".

You should provide them with a copy of the order that was made so the Peace Officer can validate it against their system and that the terms of "no contact" are outlined.

You have NO legal rights. The ***adult child*** has the legal rights unless they have special needs and you have full power of attorney over them. Otherwise you should give them the necessary information to validate the status of the restraining order with the police and they should make the ***adult decision*** (as they are an ADULT) to contact the other parent or to have the restraining order removed.

Your son is an Adult. Adults have to deal with family members with mental health issues all the time. At 18 there are people who deal with worse situations. There are 18 years olds who have parents in jail for Murder 1 and deal with it. It is time for you to allow your "child" to be an adult and make this decision, which they should be doing, without your interference.

Again, unless this child has a ***special need*** and cannot consent to their own medical treatment, run their own finances and be an "adult" and you have power of attorney over them.

This is all part of the process of being an adult. What would happen if you say, unfortunately died from a cardiac event? Who would police the relationship between your ADULT child and his other parent? You should get out of the way and let your child be an adult and make decisions.

Helicoptering around isn't helping your "child" be the "adult" that society expects him to be.

Easy…a parent worrying about their kid with an unhealthy person is normal. Yes he is an adult but if his father has a protection order and supervised access, it’s not really helicoptering to be concerned.

Comment

Originally posted by rockscan View Post
                Easy�a parent worrying about their kid with an unhealthy person is normal. Yes he is an adult but if his father has a protection order and supervised access, it�s not really helicoptering to be concerned.
                +1

agree with rocksan - given the OPs history- it's quite understandable she's protective of her kids.

Comment

Easy�a parent worrying about their kid with an unhealthy person is normal. Yes he is an adult but if his father has a protection order and supervised access, it�s not really helicoptering to be concerned.
                  I never bought the OP's "story". Going to mediation with someone that unhealthy would never happen. Yet, lots of posts about progress in mediation. No mediator would take on a situation that she describes.

So I call BS on most of the "story".

Comment

Originally posted by Tayken View Post
                    I never bought the OP's "story". Going to mediation with someone that unhealthy would never happen. Yet, lots of posts about progress in mediation. No mediator would take on a situation that she describes.

So I call BS on most of the "story".

If I recall correctly it was the ex’s lawyer who did that to drive up costs and bleed money.

Comment

If I recall correctly it was the ex�s lawyer who did that to drive up costs and bleed money.
                      I don't care about the lawyers.

NO SELF RESPECTING MEDIATOR WOULD TAKE THAT ON. NO MATTER WHAT LAWYER WOULD PRESENT IT. AS WELL THE OP'S LAWYER SHOULD HAVE ADVISED NO.

So its a strike three and your out situation rockscan.

1. Opposing counsel recommending (low probability).
                      2. Mediator willing to take it on (incredibly low probability - a number approaching 0 kind of probability!)
                      3. The OP's own lawyer even recommending it (lowest probability unless the OP has the WORST lawyer on the planet?!?!)

I mean this is Year 1 law school stuff people...

One of the three (3) professionals would have walked from the situation described by the OP. That is why I call a hard BS on this poster. Its an imperfect storm of improbabilities.

Comment

Tayken: My story is 100 per cent true and I wish I was lying even just a bit because then what happened to my family would not have been so tragic. My ex had a PGT and a lawyer! His lawyer asshole bled us dry of the equity of our home. You are not very good at spotting a bs story. So if you gave all that advice on what I should do because you believe my story to be untrue then I will ignore all of it and only consider what the others had to say. Now let me go back to figuring out how I can protect my kids. Yes, my 18 year old still needs to be protected from his mentally ill, unmedicated father. Have you ever tried to have a relationship with an unmedicated schizophrenic who is dripping with psychosis and paranoia? Do you think an 18 year old can navigate such a relationship on his own when just starting university? Is this what's best for my son right now? I could not do this and I'm an adult and you think a kid can? Unless you have had to protect your own children from a similar situation keep your advice to yourself.

Comment

And yes! We went to mediation! Cost me 8000! Everyone trying to make money because the proceeds of my home sat there. My home was paid off. There was lots of money for the lawyers to go around. I was told by my lawyer to try mediation because it will be cheaper than trial. That's how it was sold to me. I wanted to settle but the offer given was ridiculous and not in good faith. His snake lawyer took it to mediation and was taking it to trial. Essentially my ex had no voice because he had a pgt. So his lawyer was calling all the shots. It was like I was divorcing his lawyer! Because I was negotiating with him not my ex. So the pgt, his lawyer both in kahoots to keep stretching the case and bleeding us dry and going to trial. If you don't believe any of it, not my problem. And typing these replies is triggering me as I am being forced to remember what shit was done to my family by the corrupt system that got away with it.
                          Last edited by Helpmyspouse; 12-06-2021, 01:32 AM.

Comment

Wow, just wow. The way you lay out the probabilities like you are so sure. Thanks for validating the injustice and corruption of our legal system. Let me give you a quick lesson in law 101. PGT did not look out for best interest of a mentally ill man in need of representation and deemed special party by the courts. Because of this appointment ,The client became the pgt. My ex had no voice. Decisions made were done by pgt and snake lawyer. PGT is the client. I'm now trying to divorce the pgT. Snake lawyer keeps it going for years and years bleeding money from my house. Ex can't even fire his lawyer. He is not the client! To fire his lawyer he first needs to get rid of pgt. To get rid of pgt he needs to get the court to remove the special party status. To remove special party status he needs to pass a mental health assessment. He can't do that cause he is mentally ill. And round and round we go. And the case keeps dragging on with lawyers making money over a family's tragedy. If you still smell BS after all this, it's your own.
                            Last edited by Helpmyspouse; 12-06-2021, 01:45 AM.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                            Working...
                            X