This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Previous Quality of Life and current SS

Does anyone know if court ever takes into consideration previous quality of life while calculating amount of spousal support?

During my life with my EX I had very low to nothing and moderate incomes like follows:

1988 - 0
    1989 - 0
    1990 - 0
    1991 - 10k
    1992 - 10k
    1993 - 10k
    1994 - 20K
    1995 - 20K (separation)
    1996 - 10k
    1997 - 10K (divorce)
    1998 - 60K (cohabiating) out of the country
    1999 - 84K (split) out of the country
    2000 - 64K (split/cohabiting) out of the country
    2001 - 75K (cohabiting) out of the country
    2002 - 70K (cohabiting) out of the country
    2003 - 4K (split) out of the country
    2004 - 4K (split) out of the country
    2005 - 4K (split) out of the country
    2006 - 14K (new family) SS application
    2007 - 77K (new family)

I got sued for SS when I started making somewhat income. How does court look at previous quality of life when determine SS?

If someone had similar situations or have some experience please comment, how judges look at it and make decisions.

Generally the court takes into account any CS that is paid, and received plus any tax benefits, then they look at your means to pay plus her financial need.

Once they determine that SS is indeed warranted, then they will average the last three years of your tax return, notice of assessments seeing as you income has changed so significantly. Sometimes they only use the last years returns if the new employment is permanent and there is no foreseeable chance that it will change. But generally they use the average of the last three years.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
    Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
    Working...
    X