This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mediation after a case conference?

Just trying to see what is the usual way of doing things after the case is already in the justice system. I tried for a long time to convince X to go to mediation, but X took our case to the courts. At the CC, the Judge gave a reference frame for our simple case and things are not that far apart but X suddenly wants mediation. Doesn't feel right (delay tactic?)... Settlement conference has already been scheduled. Thoughts?

Trying mediation before the settlement conference may be a good idea. What I would do is schedule a mediation session without changing the settlement conference date. IF you can come together on a few items that could help things conclude either that day or the settlement conference date. Refusing mediation does not look good on you. If it ends up being a waste of time then it is... BUT if you work out your arrangements then even better.

Worth a shot, maybe X is more willing to work things out now, are you represented, is your x?

Comment

Also, if your x refused to do mediation at the conference maybe you could seek costs?

Comment

Good advise from anotherSTEmother. I would also keep the settlement conference date at all costs. If the other side is uncooperative or unenthused about scheduling mediation before the settlement conference you know they are stalling. I say this because you know the situation best and judging by your posy your instincts are sensing something off.

Can you share what are the issues that are not resolved? This can help others on this site give their views

Comment

Thanks for your help everyone The only big remaining issue is SS, which is just crunching numbers really, and ironing out a few processes to disentangle our lives. Nothing that 2 lawyers can't deal with (we both are represented). X still doesn't understand how Family Law works and believes to be right...

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
          Working...
          X