This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need help

I left my husband of 26 years Jan gone by For years he was verbally abusive and now is convinced he did nothing wrong We do not have a legal seperation but he is telling me that since most of my personnal stuff is still in the house He packed it all up and put it in the basement that today a lawyer told him I have to pay him rent I don;t believe this and wondered if anyone else as ever had this sort of problem

grico,

welcome to the forum

Is your home not mutually owned?

lv

Comment

Hi grico,

Thanks for joining us.

Regardless of whether you are on title, you are equally entitled to the matrimonial home (50% interest) and, you're right, you do not have to compensate your husband for storing your belongings. I am certain that a lawyer would not inform your husband that you must pay rent, so it may not be wise to rely solely on what your husband says. Instead, I think it would be best to speak with a lawyer yourself to find out what exactly your rights and obligations (if any) are.

Having a look at Jeffrey's answers to FAQs may help answer some of your initial questions.

Lindsay

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
      Working...
      X