This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rights, support etc...

I am in the beginning stages of ending my marriage. I have been a stay at home mom for the duration of the marriage. I am in serious need of educational upgrades so that I can move on to a career and a financially independent state.

All of our money is joint with him as the primary holder. I have no financial clout nor regular income to sustain myself or get a mortgage after the divorce. My husband thinks that I deserve nothing in the way of support while I attend school and states that he will fund all of the needs of the children, but will not trust me with child support money.

I don't find this to be fair seeing as I have contibuted much to the household and the raising of children over the past years. He thinks that I deserve nothing more than what I came into the marriage with. I realize that I have made choices that have left me in a financially disadvantaged situation, but what can i reasonably expect from a settlement under these circumstances?

It seems your ex is in for a rude awakening--regardless of what he came into marriage with,the matrimonial home will be equalized, you were a stay at home mom, so you'll(chances are) get custody and you will(should) file with the fro and he has to pay child support to you. Considering you have stayed home, and depending on length of marriage he will pay you spousal support at least til you're done schooling. Oh, and he probably doesn't realize that he could end up paying for your schooling. The guy sounds like a control freak

Comment

He is DEFINITELY in for a rude awakening. Sounds like spousal support is fairly legitimate in your case so don't be intimidated by your short term lack of financial clout. Defer to the spousal support guidelines. They will help immeasurably.

Comment

movingon,

Don't be coerced by your husband's opinion. Retain a good lawyer such as Jeff to represent you and explain all your rights to you etc.

I echo what gktt and dm have already posted.

lv

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
        Working...
        X