Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > General Chat

General Chat This forum is for discussing anything that doesn't fit into another forum, or for discussing things that are off topic, or just for general venting.

Closed Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 07:14 PM

May_May is on a distinguished road
Default Omitted from funeral ! Just venting

I know I'm expecting some decency and kindness (which is too much apparently in this situation)...but I need to vent.

I just found out that my stbx's uncle passed away this week and the funeral was today. I'm gutted that my x didn't tell me about it so I could attend. He was one of my favourite people in his family, and I visited him a couple of times in the hospital last year. I found out through one of my x's cousins today via email (I was too late in checking to attend).

After spending over 15 years with someone, their family becomes yours (usually). I'm sad I never got the opportunity to pass along my condolences to his family ! sigh...

(I won't say anything to him as to if he's done it on purpose (not by accident) and I don't want to start a fight as this is small 'stuff'....)

Last edited by May_May; 09-08-2011 at 08:13 PM.
Old 09-08-2011, 07:30 PM

standing on the sidelines is on a distinguished road

nothing to stop you from sending a nice card with a note in it expressing your condolences.

Maybe your ex thought you wouldnt want to come, maybe it was immediate family there maybe a hundred different reasons for it and not that he did it on purpose.
Old 09-08-2011, 07:44 PM

blinkandimgone is a jewel in the roughblinkandimgone is a jewel in the roughblinkandimgone is a jewel in the rough

Or perhaps you could be the bigger person and extend condolences to your ex as well, I'm sure it's not an easy time for him either. Perhaps you'll start a trend in the 'doing something thoughtful for your ex' category.
Old 09-08-2011, 07:55 PM

mummer1962 is on a distinguished road

Don't feel bad, when Respondent went to Afghanistan, we didn't know if he died if his daughter would be able to attend funeral as he did not even tell her he was going.
Old 09-08-2011, 07:56 PM

May_May is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkandimgone View Post
Or perhaps you could be the bigger person and extend condolences to your ex as well, I'm sure it's not an easy time for him either. Perhaps you'll start a trend in the 'doing something thoughtful for your ex' category.
Hi Blink...Already done ! I sent him an email when I found out...Great suggestion from you though. You are always very positive and democratic ! I don't think I'll ever get to the point where you are with your ex...but being civil all the time (and receiving it) is a nice thought !
Old 09-08-2011, 08:23 PM

blinkandimgone is a jewel in the roughblinkandimgone is a jewel in the roughblinkandimgone is a jewel in the rough

Sorry for your loss.
Old 09-08-2011, 10:30 PM

billm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkandimgone View Post
Great contribution. So powerful to look at it from 'their' point of view.
Old 09-09-2011, 02:51 PM

Tayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by May_May View Post
I know I'm expecting some decency and kindness (which is too much apparently in this situation)...but I need to vent.

I just found out that my stbx's uncle passed away this week and the funeral was today. I'm gutted that my x didn't tell me about it so I could attend. He was one of my favourite people in his family, and I visited him a couple of times in the hospital last year. I found out through one of my x's cousins today via email (I was too late in checking to attend).

After spending over 15 years with someone, their family becomes yours (usually). I'm sad I never got the opportunity to pass along my condolences to his family ! sigh...

(I won't say anything to him as to if he's done it on purpose (not by accident) and I don't want to start a fight as this is small 'stuff'....)
Did your children get to attend the funeral. Considering you are now living separate and apart I don't see why you would want to involve yourself in the other party's family matters.

I know this sounds cold but, many people would not want the person they are separating (and divorcing from) to attend their family functions. Would you want the other party to attend your family functions?

The best thing to do is to emotionally detach yourself from the members of his family. It doesn't sound like anyone else in the family called to invite you either from what you have written.

I know this sounds cold but, it is time you moved on. You are separating and divorcing not just your "stbx" but, the life you had when with him. Your life is different. Embrace the difference and move on. It is hard to do but, it is what happens.

In the span of an 80 year life the 15 years you were married is only 18.75% of your total time on this earth. Why make it longer by worrying about things like this and letting it bother you?

Good Luck!
Tayken

Good Luck!
Tayken
Old 09-09-2011, 05:30 PM

MommaMouse is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayken View Post
Did your children get to attend the funeral. Considering you are now living separate and apart I don't see why you would want to involve yourself in the other party's family matters.

I know this sounds cold but, many people would not want the person they are separating (and divorcing from) to attend their family functions. Would you want the other party to attend your family functions?

The best thing to do is to emotionally detach yourself from the members of his family. It doesn't sound like anyone else in the family called to invite you either from what you have written.

I know this sounds cold but, it is time you moved on. You are separating and divorcing not just your "stbx" but, the life you had when with him. Your life is different. Embrace the difference and move on. It is hard to do but, it is what happens.

In the span of an 80 year life the 15 years you were married is only 18.75% of your total time on this earth. Why make it longer by worrying about things like this and letting it bother you?

Good Luck!
Tayken

Good Luck!
Tayken
I agree, although it's nice to get along with X's family but most of the time you divorce the x, his family and his friends. Everyone feels they must choose a 'side' and it's a huge adjustment. When I lose a family member I will not be inviting my X. I wouldn't want him there and that stress on top of my greif.

It's good that you sent on your condolences and if you feel the need go to the uncles grave, take some flowers and say goodbye in your own way.
Old 09-09-2011, 05:34 PM

Tayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaMouse View Post
I agree, although it's nice to get along with X's family but most of the time you divorce the x, his family and his friends. Everyone feels they must choose a 'side' and it's a huge adjustment. When I lose a family member I will not be inviting my X. I wouldn't want him there and that stress on top of my greif.

It's good that you sent on your condolences and if you feel the need go to the uncles grave, take some flowers and say goodbye in your own way.
Very good and very sound advice. I agree.

Good Luck!
Tayken
Closed Thread