Who pays for the divorce?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who pays for the divorce?

I have separation agreement in place, and I would like to proceed to a divorce. My ex has indicated that she will sign a divorce agreement, but will not split any of the filing fees (50% of $632 for those of you counting).

Is there a way to compel her to cover half of the costs?

Generally, that clause is set out in the separation agreement - if Divorcemate was used when the draft was generated. Check the last 2 pages of your agreement. If she agreed to pay for a portion of the cost at the time the separation agreement was signed, then you can rely on the agreement and press her.

But from a more practical point of view - who wants the piece of stamped divorce paperwork more?
    Start a discussion, not a fire. Post with kindness.

Comment

Originally posted by mcdreamy View Post
      But from a more practical point of view - who wants the piece of stamped divorce paperwork more?
      This.

If it is not in your agreement, then whoever wants the divorce is going to have to pay for it. It will certainly take more than $300 worth of lawyer time to get the ex to pay the $300.

Comment

Sigh. And in that, for the person who was asking why I wanted to finalize the divorce...

Comment

if you are broke you can ask to have the fees waived I believe, at least back in 2014 it was that way.

Comment

Only if I could tell you how many times I agreed to pay her potion of things and even wave legal costs and even child support overpayment for the sole purpose of finalizing an agreement and moving on.

Pigs like to fight in the mud. Don't give the pig a fight in the mud. Pay the $600, divorce her and move on to new and better things.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
            Working...
            X