Ottawa Divorce .com Forums


User CP

New posts

Advertising

  Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Financial Issues

Financial Issues This forum is for discussing any of the financial issues involved in your divorce.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #31  
Old 11-20-2010, 06:28 PM
newwife3 newwife3 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 15
newwife3 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadtotheend View Post
You are getting the CTB based on your combined family income i.e. you and your husband's combined income from line 236 of your tax returns.
I figured it was income based, simply because I know there are those who get more, and less than I do. So I knew it was a determining facotr in some way, just not the way it is calculated, etc. Thank youf or clarifying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadtotheend View Post
As stated above there is a presumption that it be paid to the female of the household but that is easily changed to the father if you ask for it, but it won't change the amount just who it gets paid to.
Absolutely, a single dad, grandfather, care giver, or if the dad simply didn't want the step mother to get it would get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadtotheend View Post
blink, as you now know it is possible for the step parent to get it. It's just that the female presumption in this case has it go to the step mom. It could just as easily go to a step dad if that person is the primary caregiver.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadtotheend View Post
newwife3 there is no need to get all pissy about it. She didn't understand the rule. To get offended is somewhat reasonable but methinks thou doth protest too much. It sounds like you were itchin' for a bitchin'. And the statement about bio Mom abandoning her - was that necessary to advance your argument?
I sure am not "pissy" and sorry to blink and any one I offended if I came across that way.I simply feel strongly about my roll as her mother. Implying I am not because I didn't give birth or create her was offensive to me. I added she was abandoned to enforce my roll as a female parent in her life, and why I feel as strongly as I do about it. Without the need to have given birth. So to some degree I feel it was relevant information. I have nothing bad to say about her mom. I don't do that, and feel it is counter productive to raising healthy well rounded children. Step or otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadtotheend View Post
And BTW I get the CTB and I am a man. I also know of situations where the man is getting it. It's out there, just not in your world.
I am sure there are lots of men who get the tax benefit, I just stated in my area the women I know get it, as a way of apologising to what might have been passing along misinformation on my part earlier, when I apologised for assuming the woman got the tax benefit in the household.

Again, I apologise to you, to blink, and any one else I may have offended, I really wanted only to be helpful, and ended up feeling ike I needed to defend my situation. I didn't want to come across as cranky, or looking for an arguement. I wasn't, and I am sorry for any thing I said that was hurtful.
  #32  
Old 11-20-2010, 06:34 PM
blinkandimgone's Avatar
blinkandimgone blinkandimgone is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Lucknow
Posts: 5,406
blinkandimgone is a jewel in the roughblinkandimgone is a jewel in the roughblinkandimgone is a jewel in the rough
Default

I was and am not in any way questioning your feelings for said child, nor do I care really. My comment was simply that it's rather ridiculous that the CCTB would go to you simply based on your gender when her parent is quite present. In the absence of said parent it would seem more sensical, however that is not the case.

I know plenty of men and women who recieve CCTB because they are the parents, regardless of gender. It's absurd that his role and entitlement would be overlooked simply because there happens to be a female in the house - regardless of her relationship with the child.

Last edited by blinkandimgone; 11-20-2010 at 07:05 PM. Reason: the voices told me to...
  #33  
Old 11-20-2010, 06:47 PM
newwife3 newwife3 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 15
newwife3 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkandimgone View Post
I was and am not in any questioning your feeling for said child, nor do I care really. My comment was simply that it's rather ridiculous that the CCTB would go to you simply based on your gender when her parent is quite present. In the absence of said parent it would seem more sensical, however that is not the case.
I would assume it went under my name because I had the tax benefit already set up for our other two children but I don't know for sure, the "why".

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkandimgone View Post
I know plenty of men and women who recieve CCTB because they are the parents, regardless of gender. It's absurd that his role and entitlement would be overlooked simply because there happens to be a female in the house - regardless of her relationship with the child.
His entitlement is the only reason we get it for his daughter. Why it is put under my name I assume it is because I already was receiving it for our household.
If he were to want it under his name, though I don't know why it would make a difference, it goes to the same household, and serves the same purpose, and is deposited into the same account, would be fine by me. We were not active in the decision, and were simply told we were eligible, and it would be added onto the tax benefit for the household that I happen to be in receipt of. I guess the only time it could pose a problem would be if the couple (say us) were to split, and the husband (father) then had to go about getting it switched over.
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
50/50 child custody; half vs full offset (attn Tayken) shellshocked22 Financial Issues 28 09-29-2011 11:35 AM
Custody and Access Decision-Making and the Breastfeeding Child: Cavannah v. Johne WorkingDAD Divorce & Family Law 8 05-03-2011 11:55 AM
50/50 Access Motorizer Divorce & Family Law 5 01-12-2011 09:16 PM
Have I given up my rights as a parent? brokendad Common Law Issues 3 11-05-2009 07:57 PM
Case Conference Info tycooke Divorce & Family Law 9 07-12-2006 10:11 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:14 AM.