Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law > Common Law Issues

Common Law Issues The law regarding common law relationships is different than in cases of divorce. Discuss the issues that affect unmarried couples here.

Closed Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 07:36 PM

Max22258 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadtotheend View Post
For all my supposed financial expertise here, I admit that I'm still unsure about division of common-law spousal homes.

You can say that again, anyone that try to guess other people revenue then come to a conclusion must have plenty of time to bring their expertise to this forum. being an accountant is gained knowledge not necessarily a sign of intelligence.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:22 PM

dadtotheend will become famous soon enoughdadtotheend will become famous soon enough

OK jackass, cards on the table time.

How much do you make? How much did you partner make? How many kids were in the house? What were their ages?

If you have the nerve to provide that information I will tell you how much you ripped us off on the CTB.

But you will hide behind your "I didn't come here to discuss..." b/s won't you?

Last edited by dadtotheend; 02-08-2011 at 08:32 PM.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:28 PM

blinkandimgone is a jewel in the roughblinkandimgone is a jewel in the roughblinkandimgone is a jewel in the rough

Yet another useless contribution to this thread from Max.

Anyways, Trekenk....you might find some helpful information here:

http://www.ontariorealestatesource.c.../thinkclaw.pdf

Found here: Welcome to OntarioRealEstateSource.com

You could call the upper canada law society and speak to a lawyer for $6 and they can give you a definitive answer.
Old 03-12-2011, 01:02 PM

whatnext is on a distinguished road

See a lawyer and get a cohab agreement asap. Even if she doesn't get a great settlement going after the property later, your brother will pay pricey legal costs to fight a battle he could have made cut and dry in the beginning. If she hires an agressive lawyer, even if she doesn't have a leg to stand on, he will have to have an expensive battle. A good relationship can sour and become bitter. Protect yourself before that happens
Old 03-12-2011, 01:05 PM

whatnext is on a distinguished road

Get a cohab agreement signed immediately. I am being sued for the increase in value of the home over the length of our cohab. My house on title. And beware, lots of lawyers don't know much about common law division of property. Better to sort it out now then have an expensive legal battle later. I'm going through it and so wish I had a cohab agreement. don't accept a verbal agreement. I did.
Closed Thread