X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer?

My son needs a computer.
    How does this fall in place?
    Getting a dime out of my ex is like pulling teeth. BUT I am going to a case conference very soon and wanted to present this issue.
    As it is, my son has been using my old and only laptop but its on its last leg. He needs one. I cant afford it on my own. I have notified my ex and there is no response/ignored which is typically of everything.
    We are joint and I do have final decision making.
    His income is $202,000 and mine is $52,000 (working 2 jobs and attend school)

Any thoughts?

Define what it means when you say your son "needs" a computer, this will help define if and how it falls in anywhere.

Comment

Thanks, as its required for his Educational stuff like school work, homework and assignments, projects etc, and I need a printer as well.
      Good point!

Comment

There are public computers available at librarys and schools themselves. Unless he is in a computer programming course, I wouldn't say he NEEDS one, more so that he wants one to make his life easier. You can get lap tops for a few hundred dollars. I personally don't see this as a section 7 expense, but I could be wrong. Printer is the same, in my opinion. Look on kijiji for a used laptop and printer, I am sure you could find one for cheap. Its unfortunate the ex won't chip in but you know he won't so you need to work within your budget.

How old is your son?

Comment

I wouldn't see this as S7 either. Unless your son is enrolled in an educational programme for which a particular type of computer is an explicit necessity (not a nice-to-have), I would put a computer in the same category as coats, boots, bedroom furniture etc - something that is covered by child support. Like other posters said, it would be nice if Dad would contribute but since he won't, you make do with what you can afford.

For what it's worth, my daughter uses my six-year-old laptop for all school purposes. It isn't as fancy as a new Mac, but it gets the job done, and it's within our means.

Comment

My son is actually assigned online websites to do his math, and spelling schoolwork every week plus has a USB from school that he has to bring home to work on school work, (even daily schoolwork). He requires PowerPoint for their biweekly presentations. Never mind the school blog and files to keep up with on what is due for that day, week and month.
            There are constant assignments that require printing. It's no joke. My son is in grade 6 and it's only going to progress.
            As of now, like I said he is using my old computer and printer (as I required it for school a few yrs back) BUT it's dying out and we will need to upgrade it with Microsoft office.

Thanks for pointing it out as I will print off the needed info of the above info for any push back.

As to random free internet etc. That would affect each day, along with before and after school, would require transportation and interior dinner in the limited time already in evenings 530-830p child can really get themselves to random free spots for Internet everyday. Who would take him as I can't due to work, and bus, and have to also eat, make dinner, shower? It just is not reasonable. But u have brought up some good issues that I can bring up. Child is in after school program and isn't capable of getting himself to a library never mind home.
            Thank u for pointing these out as they are very valid arguments that I can dispute.

Comment

I hell of a lot less then 52,000 a year (does that include the CS you are getting plus all government payments for your son etc) and was able to afford a laptop and printer.

You don't need a high end computer if he isn't in a computer programming course. Is the computer for his own personal use or will it be a family computer? If you will be using it to then its not fair expect the father to pay for it. IMHO

Comment

Originally posted by roxyroller71 View Post
                My son is actually assigned online websites to do his math, and spelling schoolwork every week plus has a USB from school that he has to bring home to work on school work, (even daily schoolwork). He requires PowerPoint for their biweekly presentations. Never mind the school blog and files to keep up with on what is due for that day, week and month.
                There are constant assignments that require printing. It's no joke. My son is in grade 6 and it's only going to progress.
                As of now, like I said he is using my old computer and printer (as I required it for school a few yrs back) BUT it's dying out and we will need to upgrade it with Microsoft office.

Thanks for pointing it out as I will print off the needed info of the above info for any push back.

As to random free internet etc. That would affect each day, along with before and after school, would require transportation and interior dinner in the limited time already in evenings 530-830p child can really get themselves to random free spots for Internet everyday. Who would take him as I can't due to work, and bus, and have to also eat, make dinner, shower? It just is not reasonable. But u have brought up some good issues that I can bring up. Child is in after school program and isn't capable of getting himself to a library never mind home.
                Thank u for pointing these out as they are very valid arguments that I can dispute.
                Despite what you've said above, paying for home internet and a new laptop really aren't extraordinary expenses, so if you try to present them as such, Dad will probably say no, and he will be within his rights to do so. Arguing that this is something Dad is obliged to pay for is a waste of time at your case conference. Yes, it's important for Kid to have access to a computer, but that doesn't automatically make it a S7 expense. This is especially true if you're asking Dad to pay for a household computer and internet services for you to use as well, which is really not his responsibility. You might have more luck if you presented a proposal for cost-sharing - ask Dad to contribute $200 and you will pay the rest, something like that.

As other posters have pointed out, people with lower incomes than yours are able to afford internet and computers without having an ex pay for them. This may be a case of adjusting your expectations.

The perspective I'm bringing is that I have an ex with a very high income who keeps trying to claim expenses as S7 when they aren't (skis, Halloween costumes, babysitters etc). I'm not willing to broaden the definition of S7 to include everything that he wants, because that opens the door to endless more asks. However, I am willing to share the costs of some of these expenditures (e.g. I offered $100 towards the purchase of skis), as long as it is understood that I am helping out because I choose to. Perhaps Dad is thinking along similar lines.

Comment

Christmas and birthday presents could be pooled for the purchase of a computer. Your son can ask for money for these gift times and save up. I know it sucks, as my daughter often struggles and she is dam lucky to have her parents ( me) who can afford to help out.

He will learn how to ,an age his money and value his possession. A gift any parent should be proud to teach their child.

Comment

you can buy a computer for 250$!from. a used computer store

secondly you are probably getting 1000$/month in child support + your salary puts you in the range of 72000$ gross income. if you can't afford a computer lay off the crack

Comment

If you reside in Ontario, your ex is paying $1,600/month C/S. This, plus your income, should be sufficient to look after your son.

Comment

You can get a rebuilt computer at a local fix it shop for $200. Or you can get a shoppers optimum card, collect points at the drugstore and get a laptop for $200. You could even trade in your old laptop and get some money off a new/rebuilt one. Best buy also offers payment plans.

Comment

Originally posted by Links17 View Post
                          you can buy a computer for 250$!from. a used computer store

secondly you are probably getting 1000$/month in child support + your salary puts you in the range of 72000$ gross income. if you can't afford a computer lay off the crack
                          Crack is cheap. You would have to smoke a lot of crack to blow that kind of dough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGRNEJiD3PY

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                          Working...
                          X