This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SS reciepts

I was very stupid in not writing cheques or getting reciepts from my ex last year for SS no kids. Now she is refusing to give them to me. My lawyer who recently was appointed to the bench so his assistant is trying to help me. I have a nice refund coming but right now I'm out of luck. Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.
    Thanks

If I am not mistaken SS is only accepted if it is court ordered, (by Revenue Canada) I believe you can just claim the amount and provide court order with your documents. No need to provide reciepts or cancelled cheques if you have the court order.

Comment

That would be nice but Revenue Canada will insist on some form of proof of payment for each and every cent AND they will want to see the court order as well.

Every year it takes MONTHS to sort out my CL spouses taxes because of Spousal Support. Also, if you also pay Child Support (i believe you said you didn't) they will take the TOTAL amount paid, subtract the amount of Child Support ordered and only attribute the remainder to Spousal Support. We got dinged on this because his order (written in Quebec) had some S7 expenses included in the Child Support amount and we paid those directly (e.g. child care, swimming lessons etc) and Revenue Canada reduced the amount of spousal he could claim by those amounts.

Comment

I suppose I was fortunate, when I claimed, they only requested the court order, my SS claim was intially declined only because they needed claification of what amount was spouasal and what was child support, once I supplied court order the spousal deductions were allowed. I did not have to supply any reciepts what so ever. This was own experience.

Comment

that is very lucky for you! This is our 4th time submitting a tax return and the fourth time that they have requested every receipt plus the court order etc. Maybe it's becuase it's out of province...who knows. It's irritating for sure though.

Comment

I suppose James could try to submit claim minus the reciepts but enclose court order if there is one, is there??

If the other party claims amount recieved on tax return you may also not need reciepts. If they do not I imagine the onus is on you to somehowe prove you paid.

As much as any one says they hate paying through FRO, I love it. No one can make misrepresentations as to who paid or recieved what as had happened in the past.

Perhaps you may wish to make arrangements to pay through payroll deduction to FRO. It works great for me. Although most seem to not like it for some reason, they are slow slow slow. and nothing can be updated/changed without another court order and again slow slow slow to implement changes.

Comment

Do an Ebank Interac transfer where the title and description saying "Spusal support for "" from "" etc etc. Every time they accept the transfer you get an email recipt. Cost a buck fifty per.

Comment

James, it seems you have recieved many good idea's. The most important question really is do you have a court order?

Comment

Thanks

Thanks everyone for your help & ideas. I have an agreement done with the lawyers, we had to go before a judge to settle a few issues. I'm assuming thats what you mean by a court order.

Good news is I got my reciepts. She called me May 1 looking for her money & I told her she wasn't getting a dime out of me until I got my reciepts. She threatened to have my wages garnished, I'm at the end of my rope financially & told her to go ahead she still won't get a dime. I'd go on sick leave for a very long time or take a leave of absecnce, possibly even quit. Getting ready to go bankrupt so just don't give a damn.
                  Don't know what her lawyer told her but the next day she was calling with the reciepts.

Comment

Originally posted by James39 View Post
                    I was very stupid in not writing cheques or getting reciepts from my ex last year for SS no kids. Now she is refusing to give them to me. My lawyer who recently was appointed to the bench so his assistant is trying to help me. I have a nice refund coming but right now I'm out of luck. Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.
                    Thanks
                    You need to register your agreement or court order with Revenue Canada and AFAIK no receipts are necessary
                    Registering your order or agreement

Comment

I'm a tax accountant and have seen many, many of these reviews. Almost without exception the payment receipts are required with the SA or court order. As we all know, the court order/agreement only validates what ought to be paid. Whether it is paid is altogether another matter.

I agree with the post above, in the rare circumstance where receipts for payment are not requested, it is because the payer and the recipient have declared and claimed the same amount, so no futher work is required by the CRA.

Comment

Thanks. I'm only about to face all this music and what I posted was based on what I read on forums and Revenue Canada website.
                        In your opinion, what is the best way to pay SS? The easiest for me would be (I think) transfer using Internet banking but that may not give me necessary receipts. Even Cheques, I don't get them back - I can just view them through the Internet access.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                        Working...
                        X