This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• whats all included in section 7

Hi, been to court, finished everything up in regards to child support and thought things were great. Extra expenses came around like secondary school trips (expensive ones), kids getting involved with extra curricular activities. I asked the ex to pay his portion. His reply is no, these were not listed in the court order specifically. All we have listed is summer camp expenses. My question is what actually falls under special expenses in regards to extraordinary expenses for extracurricular activities and extraordinary expenses for primary or secondary school education or for any other educational programs that meet the child's particular needs. Also my child will be turning the legal age to drive soon. Can drivers education courses also be included in this.

Generally any costs associated to education can be included in a claim for payment of extraordinary expenses.
    The onus would be on the requesting parent to show that the costs are within the best interests of the child and that having this particular activity would be a benefit to them educationally. School trips are educational in some aspects but are not deemed necessary in the eyes of many. The costs for the driver’s course would be something that I as a mother would not ask a bio parent to cover if they did not want to. This in my mind falls under the idea that if the parent's were still together would that one parent see the cost as something that the child should cover on their own, maybe because they see it as unnecessary or something they would not ordinarily be able to cover if they were not separated. Maybe it had to do with learning the cost associated etc. I personally had to wait until I was on my own to get my licence as my parent's felt this was something that I should pay for to understand that money doesn’t grow on trees and that if I paid for it, then I would be more responsible. At the time I didn't like that, but now having children wanting to learn to drive I understand why they said what they did. Although one parent may see this as vital another may not. And for what it's worth to fight in court, personally I would not peruse it.

As for any costs associated to the cost of education, you'd have to weight the educational value of the trip etc. It's been said in many ways, weight the emotional and financial costs associated with the desire to have him included in these costs. It appears that this parent is not willing to pay any more than a court order says, and will fight you in order to not have to pay, is the cost worth it? I'm not saying that I agree with his side or any side.
    My children have been very fortunate to be able to attend school trip to other countries and I have been fortunate to be able to afford that luxury for them. The school called it an educational trip to get the school boards consent to have the children out of classes to attend, but in the end it is still a luxury. Unless it was a hands on actual learning trip where they were expected to study and come away with a certificate of completion. My daughter took a weekend trip that included CPR training and in my eyes was very beneficial in many aspects.

Anyway, just my personal opinion on the trips and driver’s education costs, I mean no disrespect to your situation.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
    Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
    Working...
    X