e-petitions, we have our in?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• e-petitions, we have our in?

maybe a way to get shared custody as the default?

seriously.... we can do it....
    https://petitions.parl.gc.ca/Documen...s/poster-e.pdf

Somebody have some recommendations for language... and support.

Interestingly enough the MP of my riding is what I would consider a friend of mine...(I worked with him at my last job and we had a really pleasant reunion). The guy is actually relatively close to JT as well.

Comment

So you are starting a petition for women to say at home and be supported by their ex-husbands indefinitely?

or ????

Comment

Originally posted by arabian View Post
        So you are starting a petition for women to say at home and be supported by their ex-husbands indefinitely?

or ????
        Nowhere in his request did I read that or anything close to that.

Comment

Originally posted by trinton View Post
          And you clearly haven't read back a few years of posts, else you'd be aware you are jumping into the middle of something you know nothing about.

Comment

Considering that only 6% of fathers are granted custody where as around 70% of mothers are granted custody in Canada (12% joint custody) I would say there is some sort of a bias. If a company hired 70% males and only 6% females - would you not question or wonder why?

I think it's helpful to know the history, old law stated that children were property of men or fathers (unless of course the father was a criminal or had some sort of drug addiction). Women fought to bring equality and they surpassed it as it was mutually accepted that men would work and women would stay at home and take care of the kids.

In this era, both women and men work therefor the idea that children should stay with moms as fathers are out working is mute.

CANLII
            ======
            It is also true that shared custody is becoming increasingly frequent, especially in light of the fact that in today’s world both parents often work and equally share care of the children. (Fraser v Fraser, 2015 ONSC 4640

A young child with attachments to both parents needs sufficient contact with both, without prolonged separations to maintain a meaningful and close relationship with them. See: Van Den Driessche v. Van Den Driessche, 2011 CarswellMan 255 (Q.B. Family); Wilson v. Wilson, 2015 ONSC 479 (CanLII).

Doctor Frank Williams, director of the Family and Child Psychiatry Programs at Sinai Medical Centre in Los Angeles was referring in a recent address to the American Bar Association[1] when he stated: (as quoted by His Honour Provincial Judge Alan P. Ingram in his address of 4 March 1989 to the Canadian Bar Association of Ontario)

There is the myth in some mental health, legal and judicial thinking that joint custody can only be effectively undertaken by co-operative parents. To the contrary, joint custody provides one of the best methods of stimulating a degree of significant and meaningful co-operation in warring parents who would otherwise continue years of battling to the detriment of their children.

Our experience leads to the conviction that parental identity — if strengthened in both parents — can increase co-operation and that co-operation should not be a criteria for joint custody vs. sole custody schedules for children. During the ensuing years, after custodial orders are in place, children of parents who remain highly unco-operative suffer greatly, and suffer just as much in unilateral sole custody as in joint custody arrangements.

Here are some useful studies, speeches, case law and feedback from the media:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hq_ncQwecM

High Conflict Relationships - Custody, Access and Child Support in Canada

Children of divorce may not face added stress from joint custody - Health - CBC News

https://www.thestar.com/life/health_...h_a_break.html

The Family Law System in Canada is "Broken" says veteran Family Lawyer

Barbara Kay: Dads are parents, too | National Post

Barbara Kay: Want to help society? Let kids know their fathers | National Post

Comment

Originally posted by trinton View Post
              I was joking and merely pointing out that there was not a subject line .... ie what would this petition be for?

Comment

Originally posted by arabian View Post
                I was joking and merely pointing out that there was not a subject line .... ie what would this petition be for?
                Good point.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                Working...
                X