Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law

Divorce & Family Law This forum is for discussing any of the legal issues involved in your divorce.

Old 10-17-2019, 03:18 PM

Mother is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Mediation

Reading info/threads about mediation and get puzzled as to why opinions on mediation are so drastically different?

For instance:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janus View Post
...family law is not a playground. If you make an offer to settle, then it is a real offer to settle. If you want to play around, do that in mediation where your word counts for nothing and you can negotiate without consequence.
and this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sucessfuljourney View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sucessfuljourney View Post
Mediation (with a BSW MSW social worker) got us into really good talking terms and getting along that I am almost confident marriage counselling could have saved the marriage.

If I could go back and try harder to save the marriage, I would have. Though I am sure I tried my very best at that time given the circumstances. ....
Is it "yes" or is it "no"?

Last edited by Mother; 10-17-2019 at 03:21 PM.
Old 10-17-2019, 03:32 PM

Kinso is an unknown quantity at this point

The value (or lack thereof) of mediation isn't a "yes" or "no" question. In some cases it's great. In others, terrible.

People who approach negotiation in good faith but need help talking can find mediation very useful. In contrast, for those who want to pull out every stop to get what they want, and refuse to consider matters from the other side... mediation can be a tool of manipulation and a giant waste of money/time for the other side.

Related, while this forum can be useful for people to share their own experiences, we must be cautious before we assume our personal experiences can be easily transferred to others. Professionals see thousands and thousands of cases...most people on this forum see only their own. Reading case law is useful, but only gives you the last chapter of the book. As such, people will say things like "X is great" or "terrible" while failing to appreciate nuance.
Old 10-17-2019, 03:39 PM

Mother is an unknown quantity at this point

Which means mediation is useless if a party is saying ahead of time "oh well, I know it won't work but since you insist, then ok, I'll go to look better and to show I tried" ?
Old 10-17-2019, 05:44 PM

Itís certainly not an encouraging comment.
Old 10-17-2019, 05:50 PM

iona6656 is on a distinguished road

I went with what my lawyer told me. He said he never gives blanket recommendations of mediation or arbitration. It's case specific. When he first told me this- I thought "sure sure, you just don't want to tell me who the mediator is so you get more $$$ out of me"...but that was dumb. And totally untrue. He wanted to get to know my ex and me. He told me that formal mediation wouldn't work for us- because my ex was mad at me and unreasonable. And I was making decisions from a place of guilt. That's my story.

I do tend to give the advice on here that if the other party is unreasonable. Then just move the file to trial. But Kinso is right- it's my bias coming through.
Old 10-17-2019, 06:31 PM

rockscan will become famous soon enough

Unless both parties are reasonable and want to reach a solution, mediation wonít work. Almost all agreements say mediate first but not all parties can do it. If you think the ex wonít mediate then donít waste the money.

My husbandís judge said it bestóboth parties have to be willing to mediate but if one party keeps bringing up the past and not moving forward, mediation wonít work.
Old 10-17-2019, 06:41 PM
Banned

calvinfive is infamous around these partscalvinfive is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockscan View Post
Unless both parties are reasonable and want to reach a solution, mediation wonít work.
Worked wonders for me.

Quote:
Almost all agreements say mediate first but not all parties can do it. If you think the ex wonít mediate then donít waste the money.
If your agreement says to mediate first, and you don't do it. You will be seen as a high conflict fighter. Court is absolute last resource. Always try mediation first.

Quote:
My husbandís judge said it bestóboth parties have to be willing to mediate but if one party keeps bringing up the past and not moving forward, mediation wonít work.
Worked wonders for me.
Old 10-17-2019, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Worked wonders for me.
As I said above, we must be cautious before we assume our personal experiences can be easily transferred to others.
Old 10-17-2019, 07:57 PM

rockscan will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinso View Post
As I said above, we must be cautious before we assume our personal experiences can be easily transferred to others.

This ^^ Thank you
Old 10-17-2019, 09:57 PM

Helpmyspouse is on a distinguished road

I burned $10,000 in mediation that failed. Asshole lawyer on other side had no intentions of mediating but wanted to rack up some more billable hours. He didn't negotiate in good faith so time and money was burned. Unfortunately you have no idea of knowing if it will work or not until after you have spent the money. Of course lawyers will make the argument that trial is very expensive so just try mediation. This is what you get with a broken system.