Not following Covid-19 Lockdown Rules

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not following Covid-19 Lockdown Rules

Looking for advice on what to do when the other co-parent won't follow COVID-19 lock-down restrictions with the children. We have a shared 50-50 schedule and the kids told me when they were dropped off that they were hanging out today with one of the other parents' friend, without anyone wearing masks. I am obviously concerned both for the safety of my kids and one of my household members who is at high risk of severe complications if they were to get COVID. I tried addressing it with my ex and got told to "mind my own fucking business."

Options:

A) Take 100% custody temporarily

As a bonus, lose a few tens of thousands of dollars in the inevitable massive court battle required.

The likely result is that your ex will promise not to see the other family again, so you won't actually get 100% custody. You will, however, force a change in behaviour.

B) Let ex take 100% custody

As a bonus, possibly don't see your kids for months. That said, keeps your vulnerable relatives safe.

C) Mind your own fucking business

If the ex is only bubbling with one other family, the risks are probably still really low.
    Last edited by Janus; 01-30-2021, 01:35 AM. Reason: I'm tired...

Comment

Pointing it out via email is enough. If there are multiple times this is happening and there is real concern- then think about next steps.

Comment

Originally posted by Janus View Post
        Options:

As a bonus, lose a few tens of thousands of dollars in the inevitable massive court battle required.

The likely result is that your ex will promise not to see the other family again, so you won't actually get 100% custody. You will, however, force a change in behaviour.

As a bonus, possibly don't see your kids for months. That said, keeps your vulnerable relatives safe.

If the ex is only bubbling with one other family, the risks are probably still really low.
        But what happens if the OP can prove it is not an isolated incident and not just one with other family? Would it be considered an urgent matter?

Comment

Options:

D) Present the hearsay evidence gathered from a child to the court

THIS ALWAYS WORKS IN COURT! JUDGES LOVE WHEN PARENT INTERROGATE THEIR CHILDREN ABOUT WHAT HAPPENS IN AT THE OTHER PARENT'S HOME AND PUT IT IN A PUBLIC RECORD!!!! IT TOTALLY DEMONSTRATES YOUR A BETTER PARENT WHEN YOU DO THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Comment

Originally posted by trueblue22 View Post
            But what happens if the OP can prove it is not an isolated incident and not just one with other family? Would it be considered an urgent matter?
            Now... for something helpful read this thread:

https://www.ottawadivorce.com/forum/...ad.php?t=23077

Pay close attention to the wise words of the Honourable Mr. Justice Pazaratz.

Comment

Originally posted by Tayken View Post
              Now... for something helpful read this thread:

https://www.ottawadivorce.com/forum/...ad.php?t=23077

Pay close attention to the wise words of the Honourable Mr. Justice Pazaratz.

Did you see the news about the current case he is mulling over? Mom took three teens to NL and they are sheltering there until Ontario reopens due to their mental health issues. Dad wants them returned immediately. Pazaratz is concerned about youngest kids’ mental health returning to Ontario.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

As Tayken subtly alluded to in red and CAPS, it depends on how one "proves" that it is not an isolated incident.

He is right, for most people the only proof would be dragging the kids in, which is an easy way to get a judge pissed off at you.

Comment

As Tayken subtly alluded to in red and CAPS, it depends on how one "proves" that it is not an isolated incident.

He is right, for most people the only proof would be dragging the kids in, which is an easy way to get a judge pissed off at you.
                  It wouldn't involve testimony from the children. It would be via text message and publicly posted social media photos.

Comment

If somebody was dumb enough to repeatedly post pictures of them breaking quarantine, that might be interesting. I guess if they have pictures of them doing it on a bunch of different days, clearly tagging it as being since lockdown started on December 26th, you might be able to pull it off.

Note that before Dec 26th, you were allowed to gather with people. It may not have been a good move, or recommended, but it was allowed.

Comment

If somebody was dumb enough to repeatedly post pictures of them breaking quarantine, that might be interesting. I guess if they have pictures of them doing it on a bunch of different days, clearly tagging it as being since lockdown started on December 26th, you might be able to pull it off.

Note that before Dec 26th, you were allowed to gather with people. It may not have been a good move, or recommended, but it was allowed.
                      It is pictures other people posted. It got taken down but I took screenshots of it. Would this be enough for me to go for temporary full custody?

Comment

No it wouldn’t because a) you have to prove a multitude of factors that endanger the kids and b) would have to prove it is an urgent matter to get before a judge.

Meanwhile your ex will be building his own case for full custody based on your petty, vindictive behaviour focusing on your own needs and not the children.

As Janus said, you will simply piss off a judge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by rockscan View Post
                          Did you see the news about the current case he is mulling over? Mom took three teens to NL and they are sheltering there until Ontario reopens due to their mental health issues. Dad wants them returned immediately. Pazaratz is concerned about youngest kids� mental health returning to Ontario.
                          Yes. It an interesting mix of mobility and COVID-19. It is a very unique case for sure. It won't have a massive impact on most cases though. Pazaratz's commentary on the impact of the COVID lock downs is quite wise for sure.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamil...ovid-1.5892100

Comment

It is pictures other people posted. It got taken down but I took screenshots of it. Would this be enough for me to go for temporary full custody?
                            I hate saying it but... If there is a real concern call the appropriate enforcement agency that is investigating the violations... Let them fine the other party if there is indeed a breech.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                            Working...
                            X