This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looks like we're gonna have a trial

After our last conference, it has become clear to me that my Ex is going to claim anything to try ensure she doesn't have to settle so I am left with no choice but to prepare for trial. Anyone else self represented go to trial, I may need some assistance, but I have no choice, the longer this goes on, the stronger her "Status Quo" claim will be.

You're not going to trial, guarandamnteed.

Comment

Well I'm prepping for it

Thanks Dadtotheend,

I hope she comes to her senses and agrees to 50/50, but to get her there I'm gonna schedule a trial Management conference and see if I can give her a gentle push in that direction.

Comment

You got it, keep pushing towards trial. Appear at all times that you are headed there in order to motivate settlement.

Comment

that's what I'm hoping to do

But I'm up against an actual lawyer. Good thing my Ex is an inattentive Mother, or this would be much more difficult

Comment

Assignment court?

Hi all,

Headed to assignment court next, anyone have any experience with this?? I haven't been able to find anything online, though I haven't searched the forum yet

Comment

Originally posted by dadtotheend View Post
              You're not going to trial, guarandamnteed.
              I'm starting to think otherwise, but since I've been preparing for that inevitability since day 1, I have a great deal already done. Here's to a layman in a courtroom...wish me luck

Comment

We'll see. You're not going there IMO. You're special, but not 2% special

Comment

No not special

I'm not special, just persistent. I think a tonne don't go to trial because the Dads are convinced they don't have a chance and they cannot afford to go any further. I've read a number of legal books saying that I don't have a chance, I've had a large number of legal professionals say that I should settle but I can't see how that helps the kids. 2 judges have asked point blank "Why not 50/50??" and the claims made to deny that have been false. I'm going to take this all the way and if I lose and get ordered to pay costs, so be it, but I have to see this through....for the children.

Comment

Originally posted by riverbag View Post
                    After our last conference, it has become clear to me that my Ex is going to claim anything to try ensure she doesn't have to settle so I am left with no choice but to prepare for trial. Anyone else self represented go to trial, I may need some assistance, but I have no choice, the longer this goes on, the stronger her "Status Quo" claim will be.
                    [1]. At trial, the court will examine how the status quo came about and is only one factor. Interim disposition is a makeshift until the correct answer can be discovered.

http://www.ottawadivorce.com/forum/f...atus-quo-2629/

...In Buckholtz v. Lamey, 1999 WL 33198747 (Ont. S.C.J.),[1999] O.J. No. 4851, Madam Justice C.J. Robertson held the view:

...17 Legal submissions were made about the effect of the child's two-year status quo with the father. The father's lawyer presented cases where the continuation of the status quo was given great weight but they are distinguished by their facts.

18 The legal weight of status quo was succinctly stated in R. v. R. (1983), 34 R.F.L. (2d) 277 (Alta. C.A.) at 283:

It is at the time of an interim disposition that one should not lightly disturb de facto arrangements: See Cropper v. Cropper (1974), 16 R.F.L. 113 (Ont. C.A.).We should remind ourselves that interim custody is just that: a makeshift solution until the correct answer can be discovered. If a judge could tell what is best at the outset, there is no need for an interim order. Interim orders are designed to minimize conflict between parents and cause the least amount of harm to the child pending determination of the cause.

The interim dispute here was resolved by agreement. The parties sensibly made a working arrangement until trial. It does not follow that, because it worked, that arrangement is best for the child. And the parties cannot, at trial, be treated as having somehow waived the right to put a different proposal. Indeed, such a view would discourage future litigants from agreeing to workable interim arrangements. I would not encourage turmoil in this way. Also, courts should take great care not to permit a new status quo (created by delay) to decide what was not decided by interim disposition

19 A child's development, attachment and routine do not hibernate while the court process winds its way along. The consequence of trial delay worries non-custodial parents. Status quo is one historical indicator of stability for the court's consideration but custody is a present/future-oriented order based on all of the circumstances that comprise best interests....

[2]. Bond is also a critical factor for consideration as enumerated under Section 24. See Parks v. Barnes, 2002 CanLII 18301 (ON C.A.),

CanLII - 2002 CanLII 18301 (ON C.A.)

[3]. interim Conduct of both parties is also significant consideration under Section 24 and how each parent included the other parent in the life of the child. Joint Custody is often awarded to preserve a child/parent relationship in cases of high conflict or alienation.

Thanks Dadtotheend,

I hope she comes to her senses and agrees to 50/50, but to get her there I'm gonna schedule a trial Management conference and see if I can give her a gentle push in that direction.
                    [4]. Good, push the matter forward for resolution.

Hi all,

Headed to assignment court next, anyone have any experience with this?? I haven't been able to find anything online, though I haven't searched the forum yet
                    [5]. All the cases on the trial list are generally handled at once. Solicitors of the parties are present. The Trial co-coordinator most likely will also be present with a Judge presiding.

[6]. Assignment court is designed to bring the parties together for last ditch opportunity for settlement of all or part of the issues. Formal estimation of how much time is required for trial for each matter will be solicited from the Trial Co-coordinator.

I'm not special, just persistent. I think a tonne don't go to trial because the Dads are convinced they don't have a chance and they cannot afford to go any further. I've read a number of legal books saying that I don't have a chance, I've had a large number of legal professionals say that I should settle but I can't see how that helps the kids. 2 judges have asked point blank "Why not 50/50??" and the claims made to deny that have been false. I'm going to take this all the way and if I lose and get ordered to pay costs, so be it, but I have to see this through....for the children.
                    [7]. You don't have a chance? Think positive - A wealth of information is located over at Canlii that states otherwise.

[8]. In summary, your facts are not clear on the face. However, if your hands are clean (in compliance of court orders as they arose) with evidence of historical communication and co-operation prevailing throughout interim disposition, and weighing that against (Kaplanis 2005 OAC, Ladisa 2005 OAC, Ursic 2006 OAC, Walsh 1998 OAC, Lefebvre 2002 OAC - I can only predict that you have a good chance of some sort of joint custody.

[9]. Lastly, Custody and Access claims are a present future consideration weighing all factors as enumerated under Section 24 of the Children's Law Reform Act or (Divorce Act) whichever the case might be - See Bucholtz v. Lamey above.

lv
                    Last edited by logicalvelocity; 04-11-2010, 05:22 AM.

Comment

Thnx LV

Sorry if I sounded negative, I'm certainly not concerned with the current state of affairs except that I would prefer not to go to trial, but am more than prepared to take it that far. After some further advice from Legal professionals that have ACTUALLY READ our case file, I have no worries about taking this to trial and have been told that this is exactly what I should do.
                      Just to clarify, I am looking for minimum of Shared Custody as we co-parented at minimum, or I was the primary caregiver prior to separation. I understand that getting a judge to order Shared Custody is like getting a straight answer from a politician, so that is where I am not so positive. We'll have to see how this goes, but I'm ready for a trial.

Thank you all for your continued support and help, will keep you in the loop.

Comment

I can't find Bucholtz v. Lamey in the Canlii database, perhaps it's been removed?

Comment

Roebuck and Cropper 1974 is mentioned here:

September 2005 Volume 7 Issue 3 - Article 4

Sherstobitoff J.A, in Harden, adopted the statements of Kerans J.A. in the Roebuck case at page 284 wherein Kerans J.A. stated:
                          "... it is at the time of an interim disposition that one should not lightly disturb de facto arrangements: see Cropper v. Cropper (1974), 16 R.F.L. 113 (Ont. C.A.). We should remind ourselves that interim custody is just that: a makeshift solution until the correct answer can be discovered. If a judge could tell what is best at the outset, there is no need for an interim order. Interim orders are designed to minimize conflict between parents and cause the least harm to the child and determination of the cause."

Comment

Had a second assignment court date today

Well with judges retiring and having strokes in Southern Ontario (I feel for the Judge and his family, I'm not that cold), we had another assignment court date today along with 30+ other cases to try and whittle down the amount going to trial. My situation did not change, I explained that to her lawyer and we asked to be kept on the list and will await another court date. I'm hoping for October but November might be more realistic. Still moving forward and working on my brief.

Thanks all for the support

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                            Working...
                            X