OCL - I'm going to throw up :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OCL - I'm going to throw up :(

Today was the disclosure meeting. Everything looked fine and seemed to go to the right direction - until the end. Out of the blue the OCL assessor doesn't recommend changing the custody and doesn't recommend changing the access significantly. I'm still shell shocked. The report itself will be issued in 4 weeks. I can't figure out how she got to these conclusions, when it seemed she understood the brutal parental alienation d10 is going through and it seemed she agreed that it can be prevented only if I have sole custody and it seemed she agreed that d10 should spend more time with me.
    Beautiful.

Sorry to hear that.

Hopefully the report will shed some insight and help decide where you go from here.

Comment

Sorry to hear that but not surprised from what I am learning. The OCL is as biased and inept as CAS and some of these Family Court judges. It's you're right it's proven but sorry... Status Quo

Comment

Well, the OCL was ordered because the status quo doesn't work. I'm completely puzzled.
        When the assessor was assigned, I searcher her in CANLII, and I didn't have a good feeling, as I found only one case with her. She was disgustingly biased, and the judge dismissed her recommendations. But it would be an uphill battle, and I hate that.

Comment

I'm in the same boat. I'm trying to get the Status Quo changed because it allows for conduct that creates conflict for my children. In my case I wanted an assessor appointed by they appointed the children a lawyer which is even worse. Much less I can do about a biased lawyer, I can't put him on the stand.

Comment

The OCL is paid for nothing. They were suppposed to submit a report before my trial, they didn't. Then, the assessor showed up at the trial as a witness for the other party, she was just giving "impressions", no notes, nothing. I still don't understand why these social workers are paid...

Comment

To look at the positive side... if the OCL assessor doesn't do a thorough job, and makes recommendations that don't coincide with the facts- you at least have a fighting chance. It will be easier to have a poorly done report set aside, than to fight a carefully thought out and well-supported one. Check out WorkingDad's posts and his case on CanLii. Stay positive and good luck!

Comment

oh I'm sorry BH, you must be gutted.

As others have said, wait until the written report is available to review. It works for you that her one review/recommendation you've found on Canlii was dismissed -- use that! You can't give up now.
                Start a discussion, not a fire. Post with kindness.

Comment

Look at the silver lining like the other posters have stated. If the person has a strong opinion then you may be able to work with that and have it work for you instead of against you. Easier to tear down someone who is rigid vs someone who is more on the fence.

Comment

Thanks for the support!
                    Actually what's left for me is still more than I had before, as the idiot recommended 2 more days around the weekend + more vacation days + free communication with D10. (I started from 4 hours access once a month, now I have every second weekend + some summer vacation)

Comment

Also you can write a letter of protest or clarification - my OCL investigator confused some key facts between us and completely ignored others. My lawyer wrote up the 15-20 issues as corrections/clarifications to be added to the file.

This was done once the report was completed.

Comment

There is a short timeline to submit after the report has been issued so don't waste time if this is what you want to do.

Comment

Do not panic based on what the OCL says. Make your case based on solid evidence and in the best interest of the children. That, and that solely, is what judges are supposed to look at.

Read up on the OCL here on the forum, there is lots of info. Remember, whatever anyone tells you, if it's not in the children's best interest don't do it. You have to operate within the law of course, but your focus should be on presenting your case based on evidence and the best interest of the children.

The OCL is just a horrible diversion in your quest to be the best parent you can be.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                          Working...
                          X